Garden Of Eden

We made it over the bridge, relishing in the sights none of us had ever seen before. Skyscrapers and hotels, people with shining new vehicles and a few even had newer modeled aircrafts- the kind you could drive and fly.

"That's a RoaderSky 360," Sam pointed at the aircraft in awe.

"Imagine how many babies you would have to squeeze out to get one of those," Sarah scoffed.

"Not really something I want to think about," I cringed. The bus was coming to a halt, right outside the warehouse building we had been shown in video footage during each of our last clinic visits.

I half expected the Press was there because this was all just some big prank- some messed up joke that we as the people of Sector D could never be part of anything luxurious. I felt bad for some of the people who showed up with the girls who were actually part of the Eve project, knowing they were going back to their shitty lives and for nine months following successful implantations the Breeders would be living it up.

We each got off, each one of us taking turn to gasp and squeal. I noticed the only one of about fourteen girls who didn't seem thrilled was Sarah. I nudged Sam and pointed my chin toward her. "You should stay with her. You're the only one who came with her," I pointed out. He nodded in agreement and slinked to the back of the line. My mother tapped me on the shoulder to make her presence known.

"I don't like this," she said while shaking her head.

"We haven't even been inside yet."

"If I could have your attention! We will be opening the doors to Eden, and we hope you all enjoy the tour. Hopefully by the end, you and your families will be more secure and willing to continue on with the program," Laurie Reed spoke out. I caught Zachary's facial expression shift, his eyes rolling and a sigh that was visible through the heavy movement of his shoulders. I took a moment to admire his face, his dark skin that was even darker than mine, and unusually bright yellow eyes.

That had to be a birth defect. Was he part of the program?

More Press showed up, and I even caught a glimpse of some wearing the white jackets of the P.I.P. Of course the Reeds would need protection, not everyone agreed with their philosophy if they are old enough to bleed, they are old enough to breed.

"I don't like this," my mother whispered in my ear.

"You said that already."

"Allow us to open our doors and welcome you girls to Eden." As if on cue the large warehouse doors creaked open, like some giant creature yawning. Laurie Reed was the first one to start walking, leading the pack of people, her high heels clicking with every step and her obnoxious blonde bun swaying on the top of her head.

I held my mothers hand as we followed, less eager than everyone else. I turned to see that Sam and Sarah were at the very back of the line. Sarah looked pale as ever. When we finally stepped through the doors there was a welcoming wave of heat that hit our faces, and I was relieved to see that unlike the Clinic, this place had only small portions of white.

The walls were a sky blue, the ceilings lit up with skylights. A wide open floor plan with the floors a gray marble, and the lounge chairs were yellow. It wasn't a crazy colored room- like the Quiet Room back at the clinic. It was calm and endearing and homey.

"It looks like a museum," one girl I recognized as Rebecca mused.

"Have you ever even seen a museum?" Another girl named Colleen scoffed.

"No, but I'd imagine it would look like this," Rebecca replied.

I looked over at Sam, his face seemingly unimpressed. Sarah looked hopeless, as if she was being escorted to prison. I guess in some sense that's what this place could be called. Laurie Reed held onto Douglas, exchanging wide grins with each other.