Chapter 39

"Welcome back, (Y/N)," Spock said, helping you down from the shuttlecraft. "I trust you enjoyed your leave?"

"Leave?" you echoed, cocking an eyebrow upwards. "Is that what you call it?"

"Notwithstanding, I appreciate your return," he said. He had not let go of you yet.

"I think I missed having you to talk to," you told him with complete honesty. "I didn't have enough time to make friends."

"Yes, I heard that you successfully passed the command exams during your stay."

"How the hell did you hear that?!" you exclaimed, astonished.

His lips twitched. "You have become quite famous, (Y/N). News about celebrities has always been the quickest to travel."

You suppressed a laugh. "And what else have you heard?" you asked. "You know about the day I tripped in the mess hall and wound up with ice cream in my hair, I suppose?"

"I – there was a rumour," he admitted. "An ensign in engineering deemed you the 'Heroic Ice Cream Cone,' if I recall correctly."

You grinned, but then your hand brushed against your pocket. The PADD there knocked against your thigh. Your smile faded; how could you have forgotten?

"What is it?" Spock inquired, noticing the change. "Does that term offend you?"

"No." You dipped a hand into your pocket. "No . . . but I need to speak with you. And the captain. Together, and as soon as possible. Can you arrange that?"

"I believe so." He gave you a long look. "Has something occurred?"

"Yes," you whispered.

He waited, but when you said nothing, he pressed on, "Do you wish to discuss it?"

You did. Desperately. But you shook your head. "Not yet. I'll explain all about it at the captain's and your earliest convenience." You bit your lip, frowning to yourself. "It's a bit important, Spock, and I have to do something about it by the end of the week."

"In that case, I shall speak to the captain with all due haste."

He hesitated, but whatever he was struggling with seemed to lose. He left.