Chapter 2: the start of something.

1859

Since Anne was 11, she had begun to learn new things to take care of herself and her future family, at least that is what Grace told her. Zachary was always too busy to spend time with her so she only had Grace to keep her company.

Sadly, 1859 was during the pandemic of influenza in the world. During that time, Grace had thought that Zachary, Anne, and her would never get it but she was wrong. Zachary would get It from working and his parents plus his in-laws when checking on them with Grace, spreading it to his wife. Luckily Anne did not get it, but it would soon take her adoptive parents as the doctors of that time did not know what to do, so they killed them with bloodletting and other 'forms of medicine'. The doctor had sent a telegraph to Mr. and Mrs. Roy Miller

Anne was now an orphan again, having to be adopted by yet another family friend. She was distraught due to all the loss of her original parents, adoptive parents plus her adoptive grandparents. Before she went with her new parents, she took her stuff and took what Grace had told her to have if she died. Anne ended up finding the letters from her actual mother. She stuffs everything she would keep, putting it into her basket.

Anne got into the carriage as people took her parents out for them to be buried. Anne was safe from it but she still had feared that it would take her new parents too. Her new parents were safe and they would teach her what she needed to know like horses and how to cook. Anne never fell into a rich family but she still found ways to enjoy herself.

She took the last name of Miller and started to teach herself new stuff as she used their huge library to her advantage. All of the other Miller children were adults so Roy and Martha loved having a child. They would soon grow distant from spending time with her as much because their children started visiting and being there for them after the pandemic was over.

Anne, who was already independent, took it to her advantage by teaching herself how to care for herself, defend herself and take care of wounds. Roy and Martha let her do what she wanted as they would be too busy. Anne learned to ride a horse and she would go to town. Anne loved books and she would buy books about everything from historical battles to nursing. She loved the idea of helping people. She came home and read.

"Anne?" Martha came into her room and sat next to her. "I have a question for you."

Anne at Martha, "Yes mama?"

"You know we love you and we are trying."

"I know, you do not have to worry," Anne tells Martha.

"I am worried about you though, you have gone through so much and you are too mature for your age," Martha says. Anne could see Martha was upset.

Martha just held Anne close and kissed her forehead, "We both love you."

"I know," Anne tells her.

"You ready for lunch?"

Anne nods at Martha as they go to have lunch on the porch. The two of them were happy to spend time together and not just be around each other.

Zachary looked at his wife after putting down some papers, "If we were ever to have a son, would we name him Dillian, Bob, or Darry?" He says, poking fun at the names of the sons of one of the richest men in Pennsylvania.

After lunch, Anne writes letters to her future husband and ends up drawing what she wants him to look like. She was extremely confident in her idea of her future.