Chapter 5 1/2, holidays during War

1863

Celebrating thanksgiving during the war in a new camp was a wonderful experience. The only problem was this is still war. Someone donated supplies to the army plus two turkeys. Four soldiers were tasked to kill the two turkeys as they were still alive. Soldiers and nurses would watch as Darrick, a drummer boy, and two young colonels ran after the turkeys. They finally got them and brought them back to prepare them. They would celebrate and some of the soldiers got drunk. Anne kept up taking care of the soldiers and one of the soldiers sat next to his buddy. His buddy was going and nobody could do anything about it. He had a bad infection from getting hit with a cannonball.

Anne prayed with the soldiers and gave a bunch of soldiers food and some coffee. The soldier who sat with his friend would follow her around the camp, which soon got her nervous.

"Is everything okay, jimmy?" She asked, turning to the man.

"My friend-" He says, crying. Anne rushed over to his friend, who was dead. She said a prayer and she would write to his family. The soldier would grab her and throw her to the ground.

"YOU KILLED MY FRIEND!" The soldier screamed and grabbed a knife. He attacked her and stabbed her hand. She tried to defend herself, screaming for help.

"LET ME GO!" She screamed and begged, he dragged her where he would not see them, which would fail. Anne was heard and soldiers ran to help her. He would knock her out and he cut her fingers to make her 'useless' after hearing soldiers come to help her. Darrick and his pals ran in and the aggressive soldier started slashing at them before he ran away from camp. A nurse ran from her tent to assist them, bandaging them up and grabbing a rifle-musket, and going after him with one of the soldiers. They caught him after beating him senselessly and taking him to the general. The soldier was discharged and went to jail.

Anne was taken to her tent after being bandaged. Darrick and Frank keep an eye on her. Darrick was heavily upset and kept her close in his arms. Darrick looked at Frank,

"After this war, I want to stay with her and keep her safe. I mean, why would he attack her." Darrick asks Frank, angry.

"He did take off three fingers so she is going to have to stop being a nurse," Frank told him.

"on the contrary," Anne says in her sleep, spooking the boys.

"I told you I am going to keep you safe and never let you worry," Darrick whispers and kisses her forehead.