Chapter 5: Two more years of war

1863

Darrick kept up his job and kept working hard. He kept getting hit and getting hit but never anywhere fatal and he was often told that he should just leave but he refused.

"I am fighting for my country, I am doing my job and I am not going to stop until this war is over or I go down," Darrick tells everybody.

Anne got increasingly worried about him. The Millers kept sending her letters to go home but she could not. She sometimes wished she could but she could not and she will not. She kept up taking care of wounded soldiers and sending letters and poems and stuff. One day, someone gave her a diary.

"What is this for?" Anne asks the person

"It is a diary, you write about your life. It is just for you." Frank tells her

"Oh, thank you." Anne tells him, "So, how are your fiance and yourself?"

"We are good, holding our relationship from my parents."

"How fun, you keep safe and let your lady see you come home. Godspeed."

"Thank you, Anne. godspeed to you too." Frank was a good friend to Anne and always nice to her.

Anne keeps up her job and after everybody is asleep in the tent, she takes her diary and goes back to her tent after cleaning her hands. Darrick picked her up and put her on his shoulder when she got out of the tent. Anne shrieked as he picked her up.

"shh it is me, don't worry," Darrick tells her.

Anne stayed quiet as he took her to her tent with a huge smile on his face and put her feet first on the ground.

"You are pretty light, hun," Darrick tells her.

"Well you are tall but I do not complain." She tells him. Darrick is 6'2. and huge compared to Anne.

He kisses her head and they sit together. Anne writes in her diary about everything up until that day, 6/29/1863. The army kept moving and setting up camp the next day. They would train and nurses kept up helping. Anne wrote about every battle she saw which would soon include Gettsyburg. She sat with wounded soldiers, prayed with some, and took care of whoever came in. After the battle, they all left but Anne stayed back to keep helping. She went for a walk and to see something. A confederate soldier was just standing there, stealing stuff from some soldiers. He left the photos and identification and ran off with all the jewelry. Anne was disgusted by it but she could not do anything she went to look at the stuff left so she could write letters home to their parents. She wrote the letters and went to the camp to have the letters sent. Bodies were sent home or buried.

Soldiers would be left traumatized and a substantial number of people could not be helped. Everybody tried to help but could not so numerous soldiers would pick up a drinking habit. Some soldiers were left hopeless and the general had to try to make them hopeful again. Some got hopeful as the general tried to bring them happiness with the idea of them making their country better and that they would see their loved ones.

Darrick told jokes that the only thing keeping him alive is his love for Anne. He made then told his friends and especially Frank that if he died, he wanted one of them to take care of and love Anne for him.

"What do you imply by that?" Frank asks

"I am implying if I die, could one of you keep her company and fill my place? I wouldn't even mind if you marry her but I don't want her to forget me." Darrick asks

"Yes sure but we are pretty sure you are indestructible," Nathan said.

Anne just kept doing her job and letting some soldiers talk to her about their problems and ask her for advice.

"Miss Foy, what are you going to do after this war?" One dude asks her as she treats him for influenza.

"Go home and get married." She tells him, she had gauze on her nose and mouth to keep her safe.

"I had that same plan until my girl left me for my brother. I know she is happy but I am lonely now. So, tell me about your boy."

"Mr. Lennon proposed to me."

"OH THAT TOMCAT!" another guy yelled out. Anne was absolutely confused.

"I am guessing you are not up to date with how we talk." the dude asked.

"I do not understand your slang," Anne tells them.

They look at her and explain it. She nods and they soon get ready to go. she changed into another outfit after cleaning herself up and goes into her tent. She falls asleep after writing her letters home.

The war looked like it would last forever but there were only two more years.