Chapter 7 - Walnut Ave

There were hands lightly pushing my shoulder, and my dreams of a certain somebody were quickly replaced with a painful throbbing in my head.

"Honey, wake up." My mothers soft voice somehow only harshened the pain in my head and I cracked my eyes open.

"Hm?" I mumbled and brought my hand to my forehead. I was sweating, and the light in the room was far too bright for my liking.

"Skylar's here to see you."

I slowly sat up in my bed, my memories from yesterday pouring in.

"Fuck. She is?" My mom frowned at me,

"Language dear. She's waiting by the TV."

I sighed and grabbed the water bottle from my bedside table, drinking as much as I could. My head felt like I'd smashed it against concrete.

This is why you don't go to parties.

Hangovers.

"Are you okay? It's noon, you never sleep in this late."

"I'm fine."

"Okay, well hurry she's been here for a few minutes. It's not polite to keep a lady waiting you know." She wagged her finger at me and walked back out the door.

I glared at her retreating figure before slowly getting out of bed, tossing on a shirt. The last thing on earth I wanted to do right now was talk to Skylar. I wondered if she'd even remember what she said to me.

I was almost out of my room before my phone buzzed. I grabbed it, quickly glancing at the screen before doing a double-take.

we'll be on walnut ave in front of santa cruz high in about an hour or so
—k

I blinked at the screen, my memories slowly trickling back. I'd told Kieran I'd go skateboarding with him and his friends... Fuck.

I stood there thinking of an excuse I could give him, feeling my face heat up at the memory of the scene I'd caused yesterday. There was no way I'd be able to face him after that...

"He's just getting dressed dear, would you like me to make you a coffee?" I heard my moms voice from downstairs and felt irritation wash over me. I slipped the phone into my pocket and headed downstairs.

Skylar was sitting on the couch in front of the TV, her back to me. My mom was in the kitchen boiling water. She nodded towards Skylar with wide eyes when she saw me, wordlessly reprimanding me for keeping her waiting.

I tried to keep myself from rolling my eyes. Her and my dad were the last ones qualified to judge my faulty relationship skills.

Skylar turned when she heard me approach, she looked worse than I felt. Her skin was pale— almost green, and her eyes were bloodshot.

"Hey, Oli." She said in a soft voice, looking scared. I sat down next to her, feeling my nerves pick up.

"Hey." I said, unsure of how to approach the conversation. Skylar looked incredibly guilty, her posture was hunched and she kept her eyes lowered.

"So..." She started, her voice quivering. "I'm really sorry about what I said yesterday. I can't remember saying it but Tessa told me and I'm really embarrassed and feel awful about it."

"It's fine." I found myself saying quickly, not knowing whether or not I meant it. I knew I would've forgiven her though, I had a tendency to do or say whatever I needed to get out of uncomfortable situations.

But even though Skylar was blackout drunk when she yelled at me and didn't remember, it had to have come from somewhere.

She wiped away a tear and looked nervously back at my mom, who was whistling in the kitchen while she poured hot water into the coffee filter.