Chapter 11 - If Only

My ears were ringing as the bus pulled up to Cowell's ten minutes later. I didn't notice we'd arrived until Teo nudged me on the shoulder.

"Did you hear me?" I frowned at him, rubbing my palms against my pants to get rid of the sweat as the bus came to a stop.

"No."

Teo frowned, searching my face, probably seeing the traces of anxiety he expected to find.

"I said, let's just sneak off to the boardwalk. We already cleaned our beach, they won't be looking for us. And we can see the buses from there."

"Nah, it's fine."

"Seriously Oli," he lowered his voice, "I'll go talk to Mr. Carreiro if you want." I flashed him the best smile I could like I'd done to Kieran.

"I'm fine, I swear. Let's just go."

Teo shut up as we stood up and followed the rest of the students off the bus, but I could tell he was nervous. I felt frustration creep up on me, I didn't need to be treated like a piece of glass. It was just sand and water, I'd be fine.

My sunglasses protected me from the sun that seemed to be ten times brighter than it'd been in Capitola. Cowell's was the most popular beach in the county, mainly because of the waves- and because the sun seemed to shine brighter there than anywhere else. Oh, and overflow from the boardwalk didn't help.

The breeze was almost nonexistent, and I could feel myself start to sweat already.

The beach looked exactly the same. I hadn't expected it to change, but it was odd, knowing how much I'd changed while it sat there, staying the same.

It was already getting crowded as the early Friday crowd from over the hill settled on their towels in the sun. I felt my eyes wander to the surfers in the water past the pier.

They were too close to where I'd been...

I wondered how I would've acted in their position. I'd been stupid before, careless. Some guy got unlucky... I would've thought. Doesn't mean I have to stop what I do.

"Okay everyone, you know the drill!" The county volunteer told us as our teachers handed out trash bags and gloves again.

"It's hot here." I heard from over my shoulder and turned to see Kieran, wincing from the sun shining directly in his eyes. I hadn't noticed the other buses arriving. I looked around me, there were many more people who'd appeared with him, all chatting to each other, much less awkward than they'd been earlier.

I looked back to Kieran, noticing he was standing a bit closer to me than he'd been before.

"Too hot." I said, hoping my face didn't show any of the stress I felt.

"Let's go to Marinis, we'll get ice cream." He countered.

"I don't think the one on the boardwalk has ice cream."

"They do at the stand in the arcade. You down?" Teo agreed, nudging my shoulder and I rolled my eyes.

"Guys, I'm fine. It's just some fucking sand." I said, right as Mr. Carreiro handed me a trash bag.

I have the best timing in the world.

He looked between us, before looking to the beach and back to me, comprehension slowly creeping onto his face.

"Oh, Oliver, you don't need to stay if you don't-"

"I'm good. Thanks." I snipped at him, grabbing a pair of gloves from the box in his hands. I was fed up, and losing patience. I knew they were trying to help, but their worried glances and hushed voices were getting on my nerves, and only making me feel worse. "Let's go." I said to Teo and Kieran with a tight smile.