Part Nine - New floors

Eiji clutched his case tight in the palm of his hands, knuckles turning white as he did so. The winter breeze swarmed him as he stepped through the door, and although goosebumps ran down his arms and the back of his unscarfed neck, his body felt numb.

"Thank you so much, for everything."

"Eiji babe, you don't have to thank us for anything. Just make sure you stay in touch, and visit us whenever you like, okay?"

The Japanese boy pressed a smile to his lips as he nodded, maybe it had a hint of genuineness in it too, his heart felt a cradling warmth at the fact Max and Jessica showed real care for him. Of course the thought it was only out of sympathy haunted him, but he guessed the fact they felt sympathy showed they cared enough.

At first, they'd almost been reluctant to let him go. Of course they never told him no, Eiji was grown up now, and could make decisions for himself, even if he was always gravely hesitant to do so. But, he had the money, and he had the experience.

Despite the fear of being all alone, Eiji needed to get out of that house. Everytime he entered a room he could feel himself bring it down, everyone's eyes falling in him as they grinned too widely, and acted too friendly. He couldn't even fake reflecting the same emotion.

On the bad days, he was the type of quiet that you wouldn't think could belong to a person, just a walking pulse trying to contain everything in steady heartbeats. A deer, who's feelings were being chased by a hunters bow.

Beneath the floorboards of his small flat was a store, solely a local place to buy food, drinks and magazines. He'd taken note of the fact that there was a sign beconing him to the window, bold letters informing everyone that job positions were open to the public, and staff was desperately needed.

The young boy chew on his lip vigorously as he sat on the grey matted couch that could desperately use a wash or hoovering down, the invitation on his mind. He knew he'd need to start work sooner or later, he couldn't live off his photography yet. Not when there wasn't any foreseen bussiness opportunitys over this time.

Of course he'd still carry on with his photography, despite the fact his camera and laptop were left dusted and untouched at the bottom of his rucksack. A struggle was felt in Eijis chest whenever he went near the device, knowing that just one click away was a beautiful series of photos, blonde hair and green eyes captured in the cameras lense. Like an untouched flower, climbing from a ditch.

He was being pathetic. He knew this, yet disregarded it anyways. Under no circumstance would his mind allow him to linger on the thought of Ash, or the bright smile of Shorter too.

Whenever the toothy smile and purple mohawk appeared in Eijis memory like a sweet song, it was instantly replaced with the clash of drums. A bloody face, curdling screams, knife in hand. And a body, weighing down on his chest.

After a dragged out sigh, and hands running down the length of his face, Eiji decided he'd go for the interview after all. He needed the distraction.

-
-
Sorry for the lengthy time it took to update. Suffering from major writers block, and on top of this I'm being bombarded with great amounts of school work :(