Chapter Sixteen

Three months later.

The President-VP duo could always be seen together attending events and galas. The only time they were apart was when they had to divide and conquer to speak with different world leaders. People thought that the reason behind this was because their leaders had formed this great bond amongst themselves as could be taken from the VP's inauguration night. In short, they never really gave it mind.

But behind closed doors, the reality of all these is that the duo/lovers are living together at the Malacañang palace. How they managed to make that happen without pulling attention from the media, only they could tell. They have gotten really good at hiding their secret affair, or so they thought.

Up until Lui receive a phone call from her dad one morning asking to meet her, urgently. Lui agreed upon this meeting as she also missed being with her parents and family in general.

"Darling, my dad's just messaged me to come home today. Slightly urgent. I will attend two meetings this morning then I'll cancel my whole afternoon. Ikaw?"

They were in bed. Both of them on their phones.

"Well, this is Mara I am texting with, dearest. She's actually asking if I am coming home any time soon. So, I guess if you'd head home I can visit them."

Lui's put her phone down and faced Iggi who was still busy on her phone. She caressed her cheek.

"You're not tied to me, darling, ha? You can leave any time you please. Don't think as if I'm gonna go ballistic if you decide that we only meet socially. The three month adjustment period for us as leaders are already done and over with. Baka magtaka na si Marco and look, your child is already looking for you," Lui told Iggi.

Iggi had also put her phone down midway Lui's "speech" and was staring at her — lovingly.

"Are you sure? If we'll do that then it'd be very hard for us to have our alone time, dearest. And this was my choice but it is yours to make if you decide that I go home to my family," Iggi replied.

Honestly, guilt is gnawing on Lui's conscience. As much as she loves her darling VP, she knows deep down that she's committing a mistake by taking her away from her children not so with taking her away from Marco.

"Y-yeah," Lui mustered to smile a little, "I am sure. If you prefer to stay, please know that it's also okay with me. Pero nagiguilty na kasi ako, darling. Your children must've been missing you. I was never away from my mom this long and I miss her badly. Surely Mara and Markel feels the same way."

Iggi gave Lui a chaste kiss, "I'm sorry, my dearest Louise. I'm sorry for making you feel that way."

"It's fine, darling. I love you," Lui said as she gave Iggi another kiss.

"I love you too," Iggi replied as she caressed her face.

"Let's get ready na," Lui diverted as she was trying to supress her tears.

She knew to herself that it's one hell of a decision to make as she had gotten used to Iggi being around her all the time. She'd miss her a lot. But weighing her feelings — her feelings of guilt outweighs her would-be- feelings of longing towards Raegan. It would be difficult but she had always managed and this would just be another manageable situation, or so she thought.

Lui told Martee and Pio about her plans for the day. They were not too fazed by the changes and have managed to re-sched her further appointments that day. During the morning, the President still attended two of her closed door meetings. At noon, the presidential team travelled to go to the Sandoval's mansion.

"Margaux, in my office. Now," her dad called her soon as she entered their household. The Sandoval patriarch was surely waiting for her. She also knew she was to be reprimanded as her father does not really call her by her first name unless it's something serious.

"Dad, what's going on? I have cancelled all further appointments I have today. I might have dinner here tonight too."

"We need to talk about some pressing matters. And that's great, you finally made time for us after three long months. We miss you here but you have a greater duty to the country and its people," her dad calmly stated.

This was the coolest thing about her dad. He never lost composure. Even if the matters at hand are serious and delicate, he still keeps his calm.

"Sorry na, dad. I didn't think it'd be so busy. Andaming kailangang gawin eh."

"Does that include the VP?"

"Excuse me, dad. What?"

"Akala niyo ba people had just stopped minding? That the media just doesn't care? Our family's PR team is stressing out trying to handle all the news that puts you in jeopardy, anak. And I've heard a lot about you and VP Laurel. Ilang beses na. But this time, it would get out of hand if we do not rectify the issue."

"Dad, no. I mean, what are they even pinning on us?"

"That you are having an illicit affair. In which comes receipts of you both — kissing," Marcus told her in a tone that she would not mistake; he's disappointed.

"Dad..."

"You are marrying your fiancè, Margaux. That's the end of it. You will have a big wedding in Batangas. We will invite everyone important. We will rectify all this. And you will have to compromise."

"Pero dad..."

"You are marrying Oliver. Tapos ang usap. No more buts," Marcus firmly said, "he'd be in the country soon. You better get yourself used to him being around."

Lui just nodded her head not wanting to drag the issue and her dearest VP into it any further. She knew that Iggi would be in jeopardy if she won't agree with her father's wishes. And that Iggi's name would just be slandered if she does not finish this conversation right then and there.