Chapter Eight

"Sige. Fine. I'd be honest. I'm already overwhelmed by the job plus the factor of our secret love affair adds up to that pressure. Hindi naman sa ayaw kong maging president ng Pilipinas pero hindi pa man tayo nagsisimula ang dami na agad nating hinaharap na problema. The former administration could have governed better if not for those crocs. Hay buhay nga naman. Wonder what Rizal felt like when he was thrown in jail tapos ipina-firing squad. How I wish I could be as brave as our heroes," Lui spoke out quietly as she looked at the surroundings. She felt Iggi's eyes on her profile, she looked up at her and smiled on a shrug.

"I'd actually kiss you if this wasn't a public place. But know that I am so proud of you, Lui," Iggi whispered as she gave Lui a hug, "I know you'll do a wonderful job come the start of next month and I can't wait to be there by your side for the next chapter and make history with you." Iggi then offered Lui a warm smile after they parted, "about naman sa affair natin, Lui, please bear with me. I'm sorry na ganto. I wish I could be more for you."

"Ohhh-kay. So... change topic na lang tayo," Lui said with a sigh followed by a chuckle, "Ikaw naman ang magkwento. You seem to know a lot about me already."

"What would you like to know?" Iggi asked her as she leaned on the bench's backrest.

"Everything. Anything. Pwede sigurong magtanong ako then sasagutin mo if you don't really know where to begin," Lui said which made Iggi chuckle.

"Sure. I wouldn't withhold information from you if that's what you're thinking. Go ahead and shoot those questions my way. This shall be fun," Iggi said with a grin this time as she rubbed her hands together.

"Okay, let's start fairly easy then. What did you study in school?"

"Kelan?" Iggi responded.

"What do you mean by 'kailan'?" Lui asked, intrigued. One question in and her curiosity was already tickled.

"Well, hindi naman ako one-courser. I had to do few couple things here and abroad to get to where I am now. Or maybe I'm just too indecisive with what I want to do in life?" Iggi laughed and shook her head, "come on, Lui, I'm sure at some point you must've seen my profile when you were looking for a running mate."

Lui just sighed in defeat as she knew to herself that she has not ever seen any profiles during the selection period. Her father, Marcus, was the one who made sure that she'll get the best.

"VP Laurel, I'd rather you enlighten me."

"Well, when I was younger, around 15, I was actually an actress – mind you, theater and film. When my career peaked at 17, I chose my studies over that career. I took some interest in politics, kaya I went to Harvard, sa School of Arts & Sciences to take Political Science, I graduated top of my class. I did my masters as expected then eventually my PhD in Political and Economy Government. Tapos umuwi ako rito sa Pilipinas, nagturo ako for a bit sa Ateneo then went back and did some pro bono jobs in the US. I had to come back here sa Pilipinas 5 years ago because I got calls from former colleagues needing help with some political dilemma hanggang sa nainvolve na lang ako ng nainvolve. And now, I'm your VP."

Lui was flabbergasted by this revelation and she was so damn impressed of Iggi's track record. She and Iggi had some conversations before but she can't remember Iggi divulging any of her scholastic achievements. For having accomplished so much, Iggi was sure humble and quiet about it. To know that Iggi had studied and worked for people without looking for bragging rights and accolades made Lui like her all the more.

"It seems to me that I have to be the one telling you kung gaano ako ka-proud sa'yo. Sobrang proud din ako sa achievements mo. Tapos you're this humble?"