Guilt and Progress

I slowly open my eyes as the light hits my face. A gentle smile spreads across my face when I realize that I'm still in his arms. We were pressed up against one another with his arms around me and mine around his.

Never have I had a chance to see him up this close. His dark brown hair was messy yet still perfect. His jaw line was as sharp and he had the most perfectly shaped lips. I want to run my fingers through his hair but I'm afraid that he'll wake up and this moment would be over.

My smile drops a little at the thought of everything going back to normal once he wakes up but the memories of last night flood back to me, making me smile once again. All night he didn't let me go and after a couple of hours of sleeping, I turned myself around and wrapped my arms around him as well.

I knew what I was doing, even if I am sleeping, I am very conscious so I intentionally hugged him in my sleep. If he woke up and complained about it, I could simply say that I didn't realize because I was asleep but he doesn't need to know the reality.

What's so wrong about it though? He's my husband and I hugged him back. This was the only time that I could be this close to a man and feel safe. This was probably the first and last time he would even come this close to me.

Much to my dismay I feel Salvatore move away from me as he yawns and stretches his arms out. I couldn't help but stare at him. When he reached over to the bed side table to check his phone, my eyes fell on his muscles. "Fuck. There's a bathroom in the room next to this, go take a shower and get ready fast. We leave in 20 minutes." He doesn't even spare me a glance before he rushes into the bathroom.

A sigh leaves me as I lift the blanket off of myself and grab the bag with all of the necessary things I needed and head to the bathroom. I was right to indulge in his comfort while I had the chance.

I quickly hop in the shower and get ready since apparently, we leave in 20 minutes. After my shower, I put on the black jeans and a bold red long sleeve blouse. I'm surprised at the choice in clothing because this is something that I would wear. When I gave the woman my sizes I thought that she would pick out clothes that I wouldn't wear but looks like she did good.

Heading over to the bedroom, I grab my purse and put on my shoes before heading back to the living room. Just as I entered the living room, I see Salvatore leaning against the wall in his navy-blue suit with a white shirt doing something on the phone. When he sees me, he pushes off the wall and starts walking out. That's my que to follow.

I greet Lucas and the other guard as we step out. They follow behind us as we step into the elevator. Instead of going to the terrace the way we came, we head down to the lobby. I didn't even get a chance to admire the lobby because there were already cars lined up.

There are four cars lined up so I follow Salvatore and another guard into the second one while the other two take the car behind us. Looks like the last two are extra security. That makes me feel much better.

I pull out my phone from my purse knowing that Enzo or Pietro probably called or texted me. Needless to say, I had 2 phone calls from Enzo. I text him back, letting him know that I'm okay and that I was sleeping at the time so I didn't even realize he called.

Within a few minutes my phone vibrated in my hand. Enzo had replied back with an "you're good. Are you okay though?" I quickly type back my answer, letting him know that I'm fine and I can't wait to get home. His reply comes back quick too, though I feel a bit worried when I read his text. He wrote "same. Be careful and don't worry, we'll take care of you."

Is something going to happen? I thought the extra security was just so make sure we all got home safely. If they knew something was going to happen wouldn't they change their way of travel? Driving back home from Bologna would take about 3 hours. 3 hours of not knowing when they will strike.