𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 - 𝐨𝐧𝐞 : alternate ending

( IF I DIDN'T BRING YOU ENOUGH ANGST WELL HERE'S MORE LMAO, ALSO THEY ARE ALIVE HERE AND IN THE TAISHO PERIOD STILL )

   MILA LOOKED AT THE RUBY ON THE RING ON HER FINGER, the jewel glinting ever so slightly whenever the sun faced it. In the front yard, she could hear the squeals of her twin son and daughter, playing with some bamboo sticks as swords.

   Mila's parents, Kanata Ai and Hiroto, died of a sickness that affected the elderly, and Akime moved to Tokyo with her own family. They were both leading happy lives similar to their brothers, who had decent jobs and families of their own.

   Suddenly, her two children came bursting in the front door, laughing and giggling so hard that they almost toppled over. Luckily, Mila caught them in time.

   "Mama, someone's out there to see you!" Her daughter, Tsubaki, said cheerily, her black waves swishing as she smiled and jumped up and down. 

   Mila wiped her hands on a dish rag. She wasn't expecting anyone to come today, and her husband was still in Tokyo. She took her old katana just in case and cracked the door open, examining her front yard.

   Just outside the fence sat a man her age, with long black hair that ended in turquoise tips. He sat there, just looking up at the sky and contemplating something Mila didn't know.

   She exhaled shakily and tried her best to put on a smile. She almost cried, but did not. Instead she tapped the man's shoulder to get his attention. "Muichiro. How are you?"

   Muichiro looked up at her, a somewhat hurt expression lingering in his eyes. He didn't expect heartbreak to come this much. "I'm doing good. I heard you have a family now."

   "Yeah, I have Tsubaki and Hiro as my children. Akito's currently working right now."

   Suddenly Mila remembered something that she had to do. She reached in her pocket and retrieved the small wisteria ring Muichiro worked so hard for. She remembered how it used to fit her ring finger, and how warm the former Mist Hashira's lips had been when he kissed her. But she had to accept the truth.

   She had to fall out of love with Tokitou Muichiro.

   "Thank you Muichiro." Mila whispered, pressing the ring onto the man's palm. "But I'm sorry. I love my family, and I love Akito. I can't betray them."

   Muichiro's heart felt like it was being squeezed. Nevertheless, he knew he had to let go. He had to let go for the sake of the girl he loved so much. "I love you too, Mila. And I'm sorry I couldn't make you stay."

   Mila gave Muichiro one last kiss to the forehead, and retreated back to her house, where she broke down in tears.

   Because no matter how much they denied it, no matter how much they apologized and avoided each other, everyone would know, and even the heavens didn't expect for their course to change.

   Because they knew, they were still in love.