To bonds and losts

The man walked down the dirty lane, trying to kick out rocks on the dry soil. It was early morning and he was already tired, the sun is slowly peeking from the horizon giving little and little specs of it's light before it's grand entrance.

Lowering his gaze from looking up, he heaved a sigh and looked through the bushes, wanting to stay on guard when his eyes caught a sight. A young girl was cuddled up beneath a tree. The bushes hid her almost perfectly except he can see her. When one pays too much attention to the surrounding, the young girl comes into view.

After a minute of contemplation, he decided to head over her. He walked, going deep into the bushes and feeling the shrubs scraping his foot. Not that he mind anyways. When he was almost near her, the girl stood up with a jolt, panic in her eyes as determination drips off her like sweat.

Looking into the eyes of the girl, the man was shocked. He stared into this familiar eyes far too much to have forgotten it. In reality, it is the main reason he came out into this bush. He nearly burst with joy at the thought of her standing before him, in hopefully good health and safe.

Naeemah tilted her head a bit examining the man before her making sure her mind is not playing tricks on her. She was both confused and relieved to see a familiar face.

"Ameer?? Naeemah asked, cringing at her hoarse voice

"Naeemah you're fine" He replied looking relieved

"How did you find me? She asked

"Well the bushes did hid you, but not so much if one looks really good into the bushes" He replied smiling sheepishly

"No I mean how did you know I was out here? Naeemah asked her eyes narrowing

"Ohh that! I was together with Humaira when you sent that message. Everyone was petrified and Humaira wasn't at ease. When I heard that, I left to Mr Yaari's house, I found a small shop near his house and stayed there. At midnight I saw his car pulling out and decided to follow him. We followed him up to this route, the bike man said he can't go further so I had to get off and walk the route on foot. Dawn broke in and well here I am"

Stunned, Naeemah couldn't say a word and instead nodded. With million thoughts roaming her once empty mind, she couldn't exactly pinpoint what made him follow her. No, let her rephrase that. What made him risk his life to follow her. Was it his quest to save his cousin or he is pursuing something else?

"Need water? Ameer asked, breaking her out of her trance

"Sure, thanks" She replied collecting the sachet water he handed her. She was more than grateful for this. It felt like a whole Sahara desert in her throat.

"Here, some bread. I could only grab this because of time and less luggage" He said tearing the soft pastry into two and handing her the bigger size. She pretended not to notice and took it before biting into it. It was plain, but tasted like a whole decadent meal.

"What's the time? Naeemah asked, her voice muffled with bread

"10:00am" Ameer replied as she nodded

"Time went by fast" She added after chugging down the bread with water

"We better start moving" Ameer said as he finished the last drop of the water remaining, which she handed him.

Naeemah nodded and they stood up from the rock they were sitting. After lightly dusting off their body, they both started walking towards the route they both know lies the answer and possibly..... danger.

_____________________________

At Raeesa's Parent Residence

"Any call from them? Raeesa's mother asked the father to which he shook his head

"And their phones aren't going through too" Raeesa's uncle said, referring to the ones who took the ransom.

"I heard Naeemah went yesterday, and now Ameer has followed her" Raeesa's elder sister said chirped in

"They did? Who in their right senses would do that? One of the relatives shouted out

"Ohh Rabb, please keep them all safe" The Mother said as they all chorus "Ameen" and the room felt into a heaving silence.

_____________________________

Naeemah wasn't feeling so safe anymore, she was getting nauseous, light headed and drained by the minute. It didn't help that the scorching sun was burning down on them and there was no water in sight. She is starting to get hungry, her legs are giving out, her breathings are coming out shortened, she need a bath, good food and most importantly sleep..... knowing she's safe. Not here, with her heart right in her mouth with the thoughts of the armed men ambushing them.

"Are you okay? Ameer asked to which she nodded slightly

"You don't look okay" He replied as she tried to smile but fail miserably

"Let's find a shade, there's a huge tree over there let's go. You need rest"

"No, we need to keep going" Naeemah forces the words out

"No you need rest first" he insisted to which she slightly nodded and they walked over to the shade.

Naeemah sat down, breathing a sigh of relief as Ameer stood on guard. She glance up at him before looking down and trying to get some rest. She checked her phone and saw that the network bar has risen to one and there was a message from Humaira, Maami, Hafeez, her grandma and even Ameer.

Not being able to view any of them, her eyes froze as her heart took a leap. Her toes going ice cold and her whole body going into a shock as a single Voice behind them startled them.

"HEYYYY!! DON'T YOU DARE MOVE!!!

At that moment, Naeemah breath in fear and tasted terror. She knew this was it, the end, her story is about to come to a close. She looked up to Ameer's face who was trying his best to shield her as he raised his hands in surrender.

Naeemah knew she could hide behind the tree since Ameer is shielding her, but she won't. She had to let them take her, so she could hopefully send Humaira the address. She had to do this, she knew she owe Raeesa, her family and the risk Ameer took.

And maybe she owes her heart too, for the little soft spot she's starting to have.
_____________________________