The Sorting Hat

(Quick reminder to tune in to the song for this chapter!  If you don't know what I'm talking about see my first Author's Note!  If you can't get to the playlist "Neville and I Music to Accompany" this episode's song is Hedwig's Theme!)

   Before she called names, the Sorting Hat on the stool broke out into song. I clapped politely, but I  was impatient for McGonagall to start calling names... And start calling names she did, one by one the line of straggling first years grew thinner.  Her barking voice ridded every person who dared have a name that started with A.  Since my last name (Brown) was a 'B' I was sure to be called early.  As all the A-names cleared out and went to their corresponding houses, I started to freak out a little bit.  They hadn't been scared, why was I?

        What if I didn't get sorted into a house at all?  I could not POSSIBLY be the only one contemplating this, could I?  What if this was all a big mistake?!?  But no, there was no possible way for this to be...wrong.  Not after falling in love with the castle, such an amazing medieval structure, could this be WRONG.

   I took a deep breath and steadied myself, Professor McGonagall was already through most of the upper B-names, Br-names were sure to follow, and sure enough..."Y/N Brown!".  Why was I called before Lavender?  Oh well...

    I stumbled off to the raised platform on which the battered sorting hat lay, looking quite unremarkable.  Like a frightened rabbit, I looked at all the other students.  Good grief, why so many?!?  What if I made an utter PRAT out of myself?!?  But everyone was looking...I had better jam the wretched hat onto my head.  I looked at it, for one fleeting moment in disgust, then fell right into the stool.  Goodness the agonies!  My *ahem* "sitting-on area" felt very hurt, I should have gotten into the stool CAREFULLY!!  But nevermind the trip-up, with trembling hands, I raised the hat onto my head...

"Agh, it's you Y/N, been meaning to look into your head recently, your cousin Lavender is quite the handful.."

How do you know that?    I thought, it appeared the hat was...speaking to me.  In my subconscious?

"I've got my ways, anyways let's see here...ah you're a smart one."

Thank you...   I said.

"No problem, I give the truth I do...oh you're a bit...malicious.  You seem to like to do better than other people, rivals or not.

This hat was a little bit too truthful for comfort.

"OH but OH, you're BRAVE, you are....and hardworking...oh you're difficult...but seeming this is where you're headed, it's bound to be...."

"GRYFFINDOR!!!!"

Good grief...