Prologue

••••

I woke up, walking to my brother's room. It was 9 in the night. I heard rumors of demons that surrounded this village and I didn't want anything to do with them.

Wait, I had everything to do with them. My mother was a demon slayer and she was so cool! My father was a demon slayer as well, but he wasn't as strong as my mother. She said she was something called a 'hashira'.

She explained to me that being a demon slayer was not easy, but I always found the subject as interesting as ever. I was really afraid that she could die from being a demon slayer, but she always told me she was okay. I, on the other hand didn't believe one bit of it. And I was scared to death at night.

That was why I was going to my brother's room. I ran through his door to find him asleep on his bed. I smiled. I loved Zenitsu so much. He was just two years older than me but he treated me like I was his child.

I jumped on his bed, hugging his neck. "Zenitsu nii-san. Wake up." I whispered in his ear. He woke up and hugged me. "Tsuki, what are you doing here? You know it's late right?" I dig my face in his black hair and answered. "I'm scared Zenitsu."

I felt his grip on me tighten and he patted my dark brown hair. He pulled away and smiled. "Don't worry Tsuki. It's going to be okay. Your big brother is here now." I smiled back. "Thank you Zenitsu. I love you." He grinned. "I love you too Tsuki."

••••

I groggily sat up, rubbing my eyes. I heard something. It sounded like someone shouting. It was both a female and male voice. I looked back at Zenitsu and shook him awake. His brown eyes flickered open and he looked suprised and confused, but he soon heard the screams as well.

He stood up from the bed and held my hand. We both slowly walked to the hall way to see blood everywhere. There were no bodies, but there was a trail of blood leading to the living room. I shook in fear. I felt Zenitsu shaking as well, but he soon snapped out of it.

"Tsuki...we need to go. Now." he whispered to me. My eyes widened. "But what about mother? Father? Zenitsu we can't le-" He cut me off by pulling my hand that he held while running. Before we rounded the corner, we heard sword clashes and growling. I turned for a split second to see my father's head being ripped off by the demon. I screamed as the head rolled to the floor.

My mother soon jumped out of the shadows, trying to cut the demon's head. The demon dodged her attempt and slashed her side. She landed on the ground with a thump. The demon looked at me and Zenitsu and smiled creepily.

My mother looked at us and tears began to slowly pour out of her turquoise coloured eyes. "Muzan! Don't go near....them...." she begged as she reached for her sword once again. She began spinning it. "Shinigami breathing. Fifteenth form; Death Wheel." she said out loud, dashing at the demon I assumed his name was Muzan. He laughed. "Anika. You can't kill me. Don't even try." She growled as her sword was surrounded by shadows.

As she dashed to Muzan, he just stood there. Suddenly, my mother stood still, looking down at her stomach. I watched as a long nail or claw was plunged into her chest. Muzan twisted the claw, smirking all the while. My mother coughed out blood, wobbling about. He twisted the claw one more time before dragging it out harshly. She glared one more time at him before falling to the ground.

"It's a shame a demon had to kill a demon." he said, looking at her bleeding form on the ground. My mother looked at me with one more smile before lifting her hand. A black swirl came out of her hand, swirling around me. I didn't even fight it. I was more concerned about my soon to be dead mother. "Run! Now! Leave!" she shouted, trying to stop the bleeding.