this is war

You felt uncomfortable the whole dinner. Of course you aquired names to faces, but Connie was set on being your number one enemy the whole night.

"You called Connie a beanpole?" Marco was smiling as he said it, his whole face illuminating that he was impressed with the insult.

Jean let out a monstrous laugh. He looked over at Connie and put his hands up together, leaving only an inch of space between them.

"Look at me! I'm Connie Springer and I think I have muscles!" He mocked and Connie's whole face turned beet red.

"At least I don't look like a horse," he muttered and that shut Jean up immediately. You guessed the joke was a pretty sensitive one, a touchy subject not worth asking about.

At that Eren let out a chuckle and said, "I can't believe that's still a joke."

"It's because it's true," Niccolo bluntly replied, picking at whatever was left on his plate.

Jean's charming and playful demeanor quickly vanished as he sat in complete silence.

"At least you're not bald like Connie is," you completely froze. Did I just say that out loud? you thought and felt everyone staring at you, especially Connie.

"Damn Y/N, for as quiet as you are, you're merciless," Eren drew in a breath, waving his one oh his hands in the air like he'd just been stung.

"Connie you deserved it, you called Jean a horse," Sasha shrugged and you could see Jean holding in a laugh.

"You know what, if you wanna go there, we can go there," Connie folded his hands together and narrowed his gaze onto you.

"Connie-" Marco started but he ignored him.

"You've been Sasha's roommate for a whole semester and haven't even given her the time of day. And now you're here, eating with us and throwing insults around like you're our friend. Don't just think that you can waltz in here and-"

"Connie!" Sasha hissed, her brown eyes blazing with anger. The whole table was quiet now.

You sat there, feeling everyone's eyes on you. You could feel the judgement, whether or not it was true. You blinked your eyes before setting your fork down. Someone cleared their throat, possibly to help relieve the sudden tension that pulled taut between you and Connie.

The words had stung like a wasp, and you felt the anger inside your chest grow as a burning sensation began at the pit of your stomach. You agreed your joke crossed a line, but that didn't give him the right to insult your character without knowing you.

"You're right, I'm not your friend," you started and placed your hands to rest on your lap, hoping to hide the fact that they were clenched into fists before saying, "but at least I'm not a sensitive dick."

"Oh! So I'm a dick now for calling you out? Is that what this is? I thought we were just having fun, but if you so obviously can't take it then you shouldn't dish it out and you shouldn't be—," he started to retort when Sasha gave him a glare that would send chills up your spine if ever directed towards you.

You stared at Connie as anger was replaced with anxiety—the feeling of being unwanted. You looked around and noticed how everyone was silent, awkwardly avoiding your gaze. You could see the small looks they gave one another and you couldn't tell if it was pity or agreement that they shared. But to you, Connie was right. These weren't your friends and they had no obligation to be on your side.

"I think I should go," you murmured and silently excused yourself, grabbing your things and ignoring Sasha's small pleas to have you stay.

"I'll see you back at the dorm. It was nice meeting you all. Sorry for tonight," you spoke briskly before leaving the table as fast as you could, letting that heavy feeling that had been growing finally weigh you down.