6 - Crossing Paths

Quick A/N: I'm sorry for not updating in so long despite setting a deadline for myself. As you may know, I write this story creatively. It's been hard since I've been studying for my ap exams and SAT. My mind was not ready. 

So thank you so much to my readers who comment, encouraging me to continue with this story, and thank you to those who vote. You have no idea how happy it makes me feel and how it really encourages me to keep working hard. Let's keep fighting!

-

To say the next few years were a disaster would only be an understatement for Evan. His mother had stubbornly remained stoic against Lily and b̶a̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶(in her words' grounded) her to the East Hall, a room isolated from the rest of the main house because it was originally used as the guest hallway. Evan couldn't be more sure that this was his mother's way of circuitously saying Lily wasn't welcomed.

"Evan? What are you thinking about to be in such a daze?" Alix, one of the twins from the protagonist's harem chimed in. His mouth was smeared in pink frosting as he held a half-eaten cake slice.

Aaron on the other side, sulked as he waited for his brother to finish the cake. Seeing that Evan also had a bit of pink frosting on his mouth, he used his hand to wipe it away before turning his head in a hmph.

Since Evan turned 3, the twins were always coming over to play since they were to be the future knights of Emberfield anyways, working under the Moonbridge family. Though sometimes they would teach Evan new words that they learned (which almost shocked his mother to death when she heard them teaching her child the three F's of life, fighting, feeding, and f*********)

After that, the twins were scolded until they promised they wouldn't teach him such things again. Evan wanted to laugh remembering the incident. He snickered under his hand and the twins looked at him and then each other questionably.

"It's nothing. I was just lost in thought," Evan smiled, shoving the last piece of cake into his mouth. The soft taste of the strawberry filling and vanilla cake making him feel a strange sense of joy.

Aaron perked up after they finished with the sweets and asked eagerly, the same question since he started to learn to spar, "Wanna go practice with me?"

Alix groaned in despair, he really didn't want to spar after the half-day training that nearly killed them yesterday with their mentor. "Oh Lady Omera, please shield me from my wicked brother!"

Aaron knocked his head, "Who are you calling wicked? You haven't even won once since we dueled."

"Correction, I won twice," Alix held up his head proudly.

"Out of 50 times," Evan countered, grinning at Alix's disbelief in his betrayal.

"I heard there's some big event happening in the city center today, if we don't spar, we can still see what it's about," Alix smartly bribed them. Evan didn't want to admit it, but the temptation was hard to resist. In the end, they headed to the city center by sneaking on a supply wagon heading back to its merchant to restock. 

Jumping off the moving wagon, Evan stumbled from the flock of people gathering to see what was so popular at the town center. He glanced at the familiar street filled with vendors and civilians walking about happily. Still, the steady stream of people headed for the town center road was unnerving.

Alix and Aaron helped carve out a path since Evan was still a head shorter.

The bustling started to thin out and Evan finally saw what the buzz was all about.

Lines of horses carried people wearing the traditional clothing one would see in all the C-dramas that his friends from a previous life often invited him over to see. The person in the lead, whom he could assume was the highest-ranking was wearing dark blue robes, a gold hair crown holding up his long hair partially.