11 - Between Worlds

"Wake up, sleepy head!"

Evan stirred. This voice was familiar. He felt safe listening to it.

"Evan, your solution is boiling. I won't stay late with you if you mess up your experiment."

Solution? Experiment? Why did these things sound so familiar? Evan jumped. He was now wide awake.

"Leo?" He asked dazedly.

" Who else would I be?" Leo was nonchalantly scribbling on his notepad, not even bothering to look at him.

Evan could tell this was their university lab room. The white fluorescent lights burned his eyes a little as he glanced at the stacks of paper surrounding them, microscopes on each table, a fume hood on the backside of the room, and his bunsen burner heating a beaker of liquid.

"I thought I was on the plane," He slowly replied, turning off the gas valve to the bunsen burner.

Leo chortled at his half-asleep face, "Your trip isn't until tomorrow, genius."

"Uh huh," Evan rubbed his brows, trying to recall the weird memories lingering in his head, "I had the weirdest dream. I was in yours and Ava's game and I was a cannon fodder?"

Leo nodded dismissively, chewing on the end of his pen as he recorded something from the microscope. "What? Did you want to date so badly you're dreaming of it now?"

Evan punched his arm, eliciting a laugh from Leo.

"Listen man, you're just stress dreaming because you got a trip soon. Relax."

"You're right," he started cleaning up the lab materials he used, "Hypothetically speaking, you wouldn't forget about me, right?"

Leo looked caught off guard by the question but his eyes softened, "Of course, I wouldn't forget about you. We're practically fraternal twins separated at birth. Hypothesis proven."

Evan huffed a laugh in relief, nodding. He couldn't understand why he felt so dissociated, like he was not entirely present. Listening to Leo made him feel a little more assured and safe.

" I'm finished if you're finished. Let's go home already."

Home. The word echoed in Evan's head. He felt as if he was walking through thick tar. Home. Home. Home. He watched as the image of himself walked along with Leo, leaving him alone in the room.

I want to go home.

Evan tensed as he fell through the room. It seemed as if he was falling through a tunnel of stars.

He blinked awake, staring up at the worried face of his mother. Mother? But he was an orphan. Why was he here? He didn't want to be here.

He felt pain radiate up his spine. He gritted his teeth as it rippled through his body, making him shudder. The pain flared once more and every muscle in Evan's body tensed up.

The woman gently caressed his cheek, her eyes were red and he could see tear streaks on her cheek.

"How are you feeling, my raven?"

He flinched, not knowing whether he wanted her comfort closer or wanting to push away the burning warmth from her hand. Tears sprung from his eyes and the only thing he could mutter was, "Hurts."

His vision tunneled and he could tell he would pass out again. He didn't try to fight it this time, willing the darkness to drown out the pain.

The second time Evan woke, he could hear two voices speaking.

"I'm afraid it's the Ethereal, my lady."

There was a muffled sob. "There has to be some way."

"I'm afraid not... if it's already this way."