Chapter 3

Maya looked as Riley and Farkle were clearly having an argument over the phone as she exhaled.
Looking around as she saw there wasn't much to do she grabbed her handbag.

"Riley, I'm going out for a bit. I'll be back later," Maya said as she went out of the apartment.

Walking out of the building she took a breathe inhaling the fresh air as she thought of the summer of 2006 when her father had decided to pack his things and leave. Thinking back of that year she shook her head as she walked into Washington Square Park smiling as she saw all of the kids playing around as she went to sit under the trees giving her some shade. Going through her purse she got out a pencil and notepad as she randomly started to write a song while not knowing how it would end. Smiling as she got done she saw as Josh entered the park looking like the world was weighing on his shoulders.

"Josh!" Maya said waving her hand in the air as he came towards her.

"Does Cory know you're here?" Josh asked sitting down next to her.

"Not actually but that's more good than bad. He's been giving me way too much work lately at that apartment and I just needed some time without hearing Riley arguing with her boyfriend. What's wrong? Looked like you have the world on your shoulders," Maya said as Josh looked at her. "I know how to read people."

"I'm fine. My parent are not having it with me being here for so long. They apparently want me to go back to Philly a lot sooner than I anticipated. Can I ask you a question?" Josh asked.

"You don't need my permission for that," Maya said.

"How are you always so cool headed with your parents not being together? I would freak out if I'm being raised by my mother alone," Josh said.

"My father sends money every month to us. Pretty much the only thing he does to contribute to my well-being. We definitely don't have money problems regarding my school fees. My mother wouldn't be able to get me into a private school just on her salary. We're not doing what you would say excellent regarding money but we're surviving," Maya said.

"What about I stick you for a coffee? Come," Josh said as he helped Maya up.

"So why do you sit in a park and not just at home if you want to get away from my brother?" Josh asked as he and Maya were drinking coffee.

She smiled lightly shaking her head. Of course she knew Josh was trying to be nicer with her than he usually is but she didn't know why. He was going back to Philadelphia soon while she would be in New York going school but it didn't seem to bother him much or at all to say the truth.

"I used to go to that park almost every day when my dad had left so it became a habit that I would go there and just draw or write. It became my safe place and I'm happy about that," Maya said.

"Ever think your father will become more involved?" Josh asked as Maya shook her head.

"No he won't. My mother tried to get him more involved but he said that he doesn't want to. He gave up all rights to me awhile ago and my mother doesn't seem to want to give up her job. She wants to pursue a career as an actress and I don't want to stan in her way," Maya said.

"It can't be easy," Josh said.

"It never will be. But I'm okay with it."

"So what do you write? Stories?" Josh asked as Maya shook her head.

"Music. I love it and want to become a musician one day," Maya said.

"You any good?" Josh asked.

"Don't really know. Maybe one day I'll find out," Maya said.