Flash Fiction

This is a writing assignment I had to do for my writing class. Enjoy!

                I watched from my porch as the familiar tan van pulled into the rough gravel driveway. The vehicle stopped with a sudded jolt, rocking the car for a second afterwards, and the doors flung open and everyone jumped out as if the car was going to explode any second. But one little boy with familiar bored brown eyes continued to sit relaxed in his seat, oblivious to the urgency of the situation. I continued to rock back and forth in my chair and let the two “adults” scramble up the porch steps to me. In hurried tone they asked:

            “I’m so sorry I know this is sudden but do you mind taking care of Julian while we’re gone?”

            “We totally forgot that he was supposed to stay here while we were gone and now we’re gonna miss our flight. Please we’ll pay you extra.”

            I stared at them with my usual grumpy stare, making it clear to them that I was disappointed. And in return they lowered their heads with dreary, stressed faces. I was expecting this, obviously, since I knew both of them were still irresponsible, even if they did have a kid to look after. And for a second I was ready to tell them “no” just so they could learn from their mistake. But I wasn’t that cruel. Besides, having Julian around would be much more interesting than being stuck in this old rotten house alone with nothing to do but read and rock and read and rock some more.

            “Fine whatever, but I do expect extra when you two come back ya hear?” I grumbled.

            They both nodded quickly. “Thank you so much.” “And we’re sorry again,” they sighed in relief.

            Then they walked back to the car and started talking to Julian who honestly looked like he didn’t give a shit. I watched them with lizard-like eyes, gaze trained on the boy who held a similar face to mine. He looked up at me and, once catching my ostracizing glare, jumped a little and turned away with a pale face. I’d scared him? Good. Ah this was going to be fun.

Why did this have to happen? That old creep was starin’ at me and I was so scared I jumped like a cat on Halloween. His eyes were creepy though. Reminded me of my old science teacher who would walk around like a Bengal tiger stalking his prey whenever lecturing us, his cold black eyes glaring at the kids in class who’d fallen asleep. Heck, he even looked like a tiger. But this guy kind of reminded me of a lizard. A creepy gross old lizard who wasn’t afraid to lick its prey to death if necessary. That made me laugh. But it also made me kind of disgusted. Either way I was kind of terrified when I learned that I would be staying with him for a week.

“I’m sorry hunny I know he’s not the friendliest guy but you’ll have to get used to him,” mom said with honest empathy in her voice.

I shrugged. So apparently this man was my grandfather. He was probably on my dad’s side since we weren’t really connected with his side as much as my mom’s.

Mom kissed me on the forehead and with an uncomfortable sigh I squirmed under her trying to break free. Then dad hugged me quickly before jumping into the van with mom and they drove off quicker than I thought was possible. Then I was left alone with gramps over there. Why did this have to happen to me of all people?

            “Want anything for breakfast?” gramps called from the kitchen.

            I nodded slowly, trying to text my friends as I laid on the couch. A few seconds passed and the words came again.

            “Hey, you want anything for breakfast? I’m making eggs and toast.”

            I nodded yet again. There were a few more seconds before he came suddenly into the room, waving around the spatula that was gripped agonizingly tight in his hand.

            “Hey, get your eyes off the phone and answer me you idiot!” he growled. I lifted my eyes slowly.

            “I did answer you,” I stated calmly. “I nodded.”

            “Well how the hell do you expect me to see you when I’m in the kitchen?” he hissed, obviously annoyed.

            I shrugged and went back to my phone. He sighed in frustration, finally returning back to the kitchen to make breakfast.

            By the time he called me in for breakfast I was already off my phone doing something else so I guess it was pretty convenient. I strolled into the kitchen, finding the plate of eggs and toast already laid out on the table. As I sat I noticed the amazing smell that emitted from it. For a second I just accepted it and immediately dug in. But then I started to think. Oh is he being nice to me now to make up for his creepiness? And then I froze as thoughts of poison appeared. Was I going to die today?

            Gramps sat at the chair across from me and started eating. His eyes flickered from his food to me occasionally as he ate. I grew more and more suspicious. We made small talk until I finished. When I finally did finish I stood up and set my plate in the sink, turning around only to be startled by the large old man who was standing right behind me.

            “Ha! Did I scare you, you wuss!” he laughed teasingly. 

I tightened my face and puffed out my cheeks, irritated. Then he unexpectedly ruffled up my dark brown hair playfully and laughed. What a weirdo…