IX. Team up (with me)

"There are a few new rules to the following Races that weren't in effect during your entrance trials," Circe begins, and I focus on my bare feet, my long legs keeping up easily with her petite strides. "You're allowed to team up in pairs, and they're a bit longer."

"By how much?" I ask, still watching the floor. There are dirt tire tracks on the carpet.

"Oh, they last an hour or so." My stomach drops. "The terrain is a bit different. Some aspects of water, air, and such. Makes for a much more exciting show!" The small lady sighs, and I begin to feel sick. "Of course, the ones in the higher cities are much more entertaining. But you always have to start somewhere, mm?"

She stops at the Port Norsaroc hangar.

"I would consider him as an option Ms. West. If not, you may race by yourself. I should have you know, however, that the crowd always loves a pairing." Circe gives me a last tight smile before clicking away.

I drop the ratty sneakers to the floor and shove my feet into them. If it's one thing I miss about the nurses and the compound, it's the clothes. Engineers and riders flow around me, not even glancing my way. No vehicle, no need. I crane my head around the moto section but the cute boy from earlier isn't there. Yeah, the cute boy you practically choked against a wall. I meander about, searching. It's only when I see a familiar helmet lying on the ground do I approach.

Rush is lying on his back on a rolling platform under a car, legs splayed out in front of him. I stop short of his feet and give one of his ankles a light kick.

Out he rolls, dark blue eyes looking up at me, still frowning.

"Sorry for the other introduction. I'm Angel." Rush's eyes flicker up and down my grey pajamas and ratty sneakers.

"I know," he replies. Damn, a sulky boy, ok.

"I want to race with you," I start, cutting straight to the point. Rush purses his lips.

"No."

And then he rolls back under the car. I snort out a breath of surprise.

"That's it?" I ask, rearranging the jumpsuit in my arms. No response. I sit down on the floor and yank on the platform so that he rolls out again. "We would be a good team, think about it. You can get us across the wide stretches of open area, and I can get through the smaller ones. As long as one of us finishes, we both win. And it's an hour  long." Rush looks straight up at the high ceiling and then with a sigh clambers into a seated position.

"I don't trust you, Angie," he answers matter of factly. Well, he's definitely from my compound if he calls me Angie.

"Of course you don't, I don't trust you either but hey, you can ride well." He gives me a disapproving look, one I feel I'm going to receive a lot. "Just try it. One race, ok?"

"I don't-"

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow."

"An-"

"Oh, and make sure to get one of these from the platinum hair lady, they stink." I can practically feel him glaring as I walk out of the hangar, jumpsuit swinging in one arm.