X. Murder License

I'm woken by a sharp rapping on my door.

"Angel! An-gel! Ms. West! Angie!" I tumble out of bed and lurch to open the door.

"What?" Circe is fanning herself, her perfect bob has a few hairs out of place.

"You're going to be late! Goodness did you sleep through your alarm?"

"I don't have-"

"C'mon, get dressed, they're all waiting by now."

I tie my hair up in a ferocious ponytail as I jog beside the small lady. Today, her heel clicks are so fast that I actually have to try and keep up. Shit, she should be the one racing.

"In in," she gasps, ushering me into a squat car. The driver puffs his cigar, not even asking us where we're going as he screeches to a halt outside an enormous wall with towering metal doors. "We'll see you on camera, alright?" Circe babbles. I have no idea how that is supposed to be reassuring, but she leaves me to the guards at the gate. They grab each of my arms, scratchy with the oppressing suit.

"I can walk," I tell them cooly, and with a wary gaze, they let me.

"Good speed," one of them rumbles and shuts the gate behind me. I suck in a shaky breath and walk towards the line of gates where the riders wait, posed on their vehicles.

Rush sits on a dirtbike, black, blue, and white. It's quite a bit smaller than Jaz's red one. He twists his head around, the open visor allowing me to see that welcoming glare.

"Why are you late." It's more of a demand than a question.

"Scooch," is my only reply, and with a grumble, Rush makes room on the seat of his bike. I hook one of my legs over, my movement way too constricted in this stupid uniform. Rush hasn't bitten me yet, so I wind my arms around his torso.

"You're squeezing me," he growls. I smile and rest my chin on his shoulder.

"Helmet?" Wordlessly, he reaches to where the spare was hooked on his handlebars. "Glad you remembered," I smirk. Rush lowers his visor with a snap.

As I fasten my helmet, a loud voice echoes over our confined area.

"Hello, hello, hello! Hey there, new riders! Glad you could make it through the entrance trials, we are so jazzed to have you! There are a few... alterations to this race that are different from the trials, so you might want to listen up! One, it's an hour long." None of the riders react. Everyone already knows. "Two, there's different terrain. The same rules for yellow bands apply, and you must stay with your vehicle. You do not have to stay with your partner if you have one." I almost think the announcer's done when the next words come.

"Oh! I almost forgot." The announcer clears his throat cheerily. "You're are allowed to kill each other. Good speed!"

With that, the mic clicks off and leaves us all in stunned silence.

***

"Hey," I whisper, squeezing my arms a bit as Rush tenses. "We're ok, we're gonna be fine." He doesn't say anything, only clenches the handlebars tighter. I can feel his heart beating strongly through his chest. Hey now, Angel. A monotone voice begins counting down. I inhale deeply.

In

2... the motor below me revs

1... and it roars

Out