XV. Inconvenient Truth

This has been the best few hours I've ever had.

Until I woke up, that is.

Bright lights pierce their way under my eyelids, turning my vision red. I groggily blink them open, surveying the familiar white of a hospital room. I should really start keeping track. My entire body feels numb, tingly, and weighted down by an invisible blanket. God, it would be so easy to go back to sleep. With much shifting and flopping, I make my way to the edge of the bed where I can lower my feet to the floor. My side gives me a sting of warning.

I grip the IV rolling drip, using it for support as I stand up on unsteady legs. There's a needle taped into my arm. I leave it in, Johnny only knows how much these drugs are helping me up. As I limp out of the room, I become aware of every single set of stitches on my skin. Thanks a lot, devil bush.

The hallway is empty. Same threadbare carpet; I'm still in Norsa. 

Doors on either side most likely lead to other racers, other patients I don't want to see. He must be in the next one down. I poke my head into the only door left ajar, met with the sight of Rush ripping his hospital bracelet off. He too is dressed in familiar grey pajamas.

"Hey there," I say as I shut the door behind me. My throat is dry, and I get a wash of (homesickness?) for the nurses and their paper cups of water.

Rush doesn't look at me, focused on ripping the tag.

I step closer, rolling my IV drip.

"How's your leg?" I ask. It's covered in rolls of white bandages under his sweats, I can see it.

"You shouldn't have won."

I blink.

"What?" Rush clenches his fists, one of them rimmed in red from the bracelet.

"You weren't supposed to win," he rasps.

"I take it I did then," I mumble, smug.

"You don't understand." He stands and turns to face me, then falls forward, hands closing around my upper arms. Rush is quick to drop them, quaking. His already pale face is ashen.

"Enlighten me." At this, I receive a dark blue glare.

"Don't you see, Angel? The finish line isn't your freedom. It's your goddamn capture."

"Looked like it was the end to me-"

"It's not!" I can't help but flinch at his tone. "Now you're inside the system, another racer to bet on, to make money off of. They'll move you up, higher and higher. The races only get worse, and this time there are gonna be consequences if you don't make it to the top. Winning that one damn competition doesn't mean it's over. It's the exact opposite, I-" he pauses, gasping, one hand going out to hold himself up against the wall.

I have a feeling I know what he was going to say next. That he only chose me because he thought I wasn't going to cross.

"If you weren't so intent on me winning," I reply coldly. "Then why did you cheer me on?"

"Because you were about to get mauled over by a bloody tank," he growls, turning his head away.

And now he's stuck with me. Rush wanted to stop racing while we still could, and now there's no way out.

There's a petite knock at the door, and in comes the platinum-haired lady, heels clicking.

"Angel wasn't in her dorm so I- oh. Here we are." Circe smiles and taps over to us. "Goodness, that was a jazzy race, yes? So much action, oh, I got goosebumps just watching." She fans herself, and a little voice inside me kind of wants to hit her. "You two were absolutely wonderful, the fans loved the new dynamic. We've never had a runner before, very exciting. You got enough votes to bump up, actually! We're headed to New Destia in the Cyber Zone in an hour. I'll let you borrow some clothes and we'll be off." She smiles and gives a huff through her pointy nose. "You two worked so well together, I'm so proud. Ta-ta." With that, she drops off two packages and pitters out.

I deliberately do not look at Rush.

In complete silence, I grab my package and head out after Circe, shutting the door once again.