Going home again

My relief at saving Abby was quickly over-whelmed by the horror of the seething creatures flowing beneath us. The screams were dying down and my relief was followed by guilt in what that meant. Dead, I just watch people die. I didn’t even try to save the first people attacked. A soft voice in the back of my head responded that I was hoping for that miracle that’s why I didn’t swing down like some superhero. The crying of the others on the billboard brought me back to the present. I opened my giant backpack that I had lashed up here in preparation. How many times had these emergency backpacks saved me and mom back before this? “I’ve got jerky, nuts, gummi bears, and water any takers?” everyone stared at me like I had a second head. I sighed. They’ll let me know if they want anything. “Any need for first aid?” I guess I should have started with that. “I have handkerchiefs.” I reach in for the several white bits of cloth rolled tight and wedged in between bottles. Still they are silent. I sit down on the edge of the billboard feet dangling at least 10 feet over the tallest thing down there. The other survivors had either fled or are in zombie killer mode. The Rednecks have come in a brigade of massive trucks, modified vans, and a tractor trailer with graffiti down the sides once covered by the name of some beverage. The quick report of the guns covering the sounds of the zombie moans and any other more disturbing sounds they make. I’m glad the motorcycle helmet is muffling the sounds. I took the gummies out of my leather jacket pocket. The gummies were starting to get hard. Truthfully I like them that way nice and chewy. The sun was setting everything was getting quite-ish. Even the tears of my fellow bill boarders have dried.  Later the Redneck semi came close under our sign. “Jump on, I’ll get you outta here.” I untied the backpack, put it on, and tied the rope so it hung right over the big rig. “Who would like to go first?” I asked. Still no one spoke. Jeez, well that leaves me.  I go down the rope and thump down on the roof of the trailer. “Hey guys, It’s not far come on down.” They still stood there shell shocked. I stepped back a bit and looked behind the billboard. There were a few more of the undead coming but these didn’t really look human anymore.  These were the desiccated corpses, some missing limbs, moving slower than the first wave. “The ground is still a bit zombie-y so come on down. Guys I can help you when get close. Abby please.” The nearest zombies were surrounding the big rig. Their nails scraping the sides. Their hungry grunts and gasps growing louder as the group got larger. “Come on princesses! I got shit to do.” The driver yelled as he sent a few volleys of bolts from his cross bow at the nearest undead. For him they move. Abby made her way to the edge belly down and put her legs down struggling with the rope. I steadied her as her feet met the trailer roof. She got out of the way for everyone else, the lady with the baby coming last after handing baby first.  He was a very well behaved baby considering the situation. He was really cute too. Getting closer to him he made a happy gurgle then smiled.  My heart softens so much until the smell hits me. That was a poop giggle. My heart melts even more. His mom changes him holding the diaper awkwardly. I pull a plastic shopping bag out of my backpack and gesture her to put it in. She does and I tie it in a knot and toss it off the side. “Where to?” the passenger side Redneck asked.  “We live downtown.” I say gesturing to Abby and myself. Everyone else then spoke up. They lived in different directions. “Okay, who has a place prepared for the amount of zombies now?” I raised my hand. I then looked and saw I was the only one. “Alright, I’ll get you home missy then you guys can come with me to the compound.” “Abby come home with me.” I pleaded as I reached out and took a hold of her hand. “My parents might be waiting for me at my house right?” I smile and nod but the pit of my stomach drops. I didn’t even think of her parents. I join her in what I now know is a search for her parents. We pass the area she was when I first saw her, no sign of them. I search the faces of the fallen.  

The road is rough and slow going with much too much crunch and wet squish noises I try not to consider. I try not to think of what’s going on around me as happening to me or people. I want to go back to being detached emotionally. It was easier when my only goal was Abby and nothing and no one else mattered. I watched as some of those that had just died stumbled back up their blood no longer flowing now a thick stain. My hands started to shake. I shoved them into my pockets. I feel the gummy bears and squeeze them. I stopped looking where we had been now looked where we were heading. A breath and oh my, my mom might be mad. I did just risk my life and now this Redneck guy is going to know where I live.  An impossible smile cracked my face. The zombies thin out thankfully the closer to the capital and home. I had the Rednecks drop us off a bit past the apartment. I pull out a baseball bat for Abby and I check my compact cross bow. We only saw two and they were far enough away they might have not been the infected at all. “Thanks!” I bark at the driver of the truck with a wave. “Take care of that little lady, son.” He waves and drives on. Did he just call me son? I wait for the truck to pass out of vision then start back to my place. It was getting dark now.

I see some large patches of dandelion, some wild onion, and other edible wild plants quickly gathering them up in one of my plastic bags on the way home.  It wouldn’t be much of a peace offering but those maybe zombies were coming closer. I should probably not tempt fate any further tonight. As I went up the stairs I saw that mom hadn’t left the marker that this side was blocked off. Maybe I’ll mention what I saw today and that will change. I run pounding up the stairs like I tend to opening the door wide. “Mom I’m home! Come out of the closet. I brought a guest.” I walk in further listen but don’t hear any movement. Abby comes in behind me a moment later. Then I hear someone coming up the stairs behind us. Shortly thereafter arms wrap around my head. “I was so worried baby what were you doing, where were you why is Abby here?” I recounted the last several hours in as few words as I could. I ended my spiel with a warning on making the stairs less zombie accessible. My mom nodded looked me up and down and seeming satisfied she dashed out the door. Where is she going? I settled Abby in my room, promising we would leave a note on her door tomorrow. I went to the kitchen and started dinner. I know neither of them would be hungry but it made me feel normal. I really needed that after the infected I saw. Plus it made me seem maternal to be making a meal. ‘Take care of her son” as if I’m automatically a man because I wasn’t showing cleavage.

I double rinsed the greens then cop them while setting a pot on to boil. I start rice with a bullion in the water. Should I super glue a bow to my helmet, paint a unicorn on my jacket with sparkles? I scoffed at myself. Mom would say something about arbitrary gender roles being fictitious dictate from society and how my gender neutrality is safer in this uncertain time. I guess I would get pissed if did decorate my jacket then it got messed up. I sigh as I take the greens out of the boiling water. I sauté pine nuts and sesame seeds with minced garlic when they brown I add the greens I stir briefly then turn off the heat. Perfect. I set the table, pour drinks, and-wait where is my mom? I tell Abby to come to the table for dinner. I stick my head out of the door and call for my mom. Her head pops up from the stairs below. She had been barricading them. I see she had put up the ladder.  Busy lady. “Dinner” I said as I motioned for her to hurry. Mom came up, Abby sat down, show time! And by that I mean dinner time. I scoop rice top with greens, it’s so lovely. “What the fuck is this?” Abby said as I put the plate in front of her. “It looks like dandelion, clover, and is that a little plantain?” Mom asked as she elegantly scooped up a bite on her fork.  “Good eye mom, I saw some just starting to send some buds close to the tree line.” “Wait this is weeds, from like the ground. Stuff people mow.” “The pine nuts are store bought.” I said around a mouthful. Abby managed to roll her eyes while looking at us both as if we had grown not just a second head but a third, fourth and fifth. I had made just enough, funny how a bagful was barely three servings. Of course I had a feeling Abby wouldn’t really eat hers.

At least dinner freed Abby from her shock. I watched as she started to take over half my room.  I smile behind her back. “Where do I plug in my phone?” I point to the outlets, as of right now we still have electricity.