Chapter 10

Hushed voices awoke Logan from his afternoon nap. He half opened his eyes, feeling groggy, and looked around. Maggie and her dad were discussing something. He was still half asleep, so he struggled to comprehend their conversation. Instead, he closed his eyes again and enjoyed the warm rays of the sun shining on him through the window.

He was sitting in his favorite spot in the world. The bay window in the Turners' living room. In the afternoon the sun would shine exactly right, enveloping the room, and the person sitting in the seat, in sunlight. He often took naps there when he was finished with homework or after lacrosse practice. Whenever he was feeling sad or upset, he would perch himself on the window seat and just look out on the garden, letting the calm of nature and the warmth of the sun wash over him and his turmoil.

His brain was finally waking up and he could now concentrate on the conversation around him, but he kept his eyes closed, not wanting to interrupt.

"Please, Dad?" Maggie pleaded.

"I don't think so, Maggie." Paul answered. "You promised your mother and me that you would focus on your studies this Summer break."

"Come on, Dad." Maggie's voice was desperate. "It's just one party. Please?"

Logan heard Paul sigh. "It's always just 'one' party or 'one' movie or 'one' spa day. I really want you to start concentrating on your future, Maggie."

Maggie was silent for a moment. Logan didn't need to open his eyes to know that she had turned on the waterworks.

"Oh, Magpie, don't cry." Paul cooed, confirming Logan's suspicions.

Logan mentally rolled his eyes. He knew it wouldn't be long before Paul caved and gave her what she wanted.

"Daddy, please let me go." Maggie got out with a tearful voice. "I promise I'll study hard afterwards. It's the last time I get to hang out with Lindsey before she goes away for the Summer."

Paul sighed. "You promise you'll put in some effort for the rest of Summer?"

Maggie squealed. "Yes, I promise! Thank you, Dad!"

Logan heard her run out the room, probably to go inform her friends. He opened his eyes and looked at the lean man sitting in the big, comfy chair near the fireplace. Laugh lines framed his eyes and mouth, proof of his love of laughter and jokes. His brown hair slightly graying at the sides. Logan was surprised that his hair wasn't fully grey with a daughter like Maggie.

Paul seemed to notice Logan's stare and turned his gaze towards him. He gave him an apologetic smile. "Sorry, did we wake you? I tried to get her to quiet down, but you know Maggie."

Logan shook his head. "It's fine, don't worry about it."

Paul sighed. "You heard all that?"

This time Logan nodded. "Yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop."

The man gave a small laugh. "It's fine. You've been friends with Ben long enough to know everything going on in this house anyway. You're practically..." He seemed to catch himself. "No, you are family. So don't worry about it."

Logan felt the corners of his mouth tug up. He was sure Paul had no idea how much those words meant to him. Raised by a single mother, he had always longed for a dad. Someone to play with him and take him fishing. Someone to scold him and teach him how to do all the stuff men should be able to do. When he was little he would use every opportunity he could to wish for a dad. Birthday wishes, shooting stars, letters to Santa. He had tried it all. Then in first grade he met Ben and they instantly hit it off. Soon he spent all the time he could spare at Ben's house. Paul and Mary had welcomed him into their home, and family, with open arms. Paul would always include him when he took Ben somewhere. He taught him how to play lacrosse, how to change a tire and how to deal with his many emotions. Paul had stepped in as the father Logan never knew and had guided him every step of the way. That's why he hated it when Maggie played with her dad's feelings. He thought back on the conversation he just heard and frowned.

Paul, noticing the frown, scratched his head absentmindedly. "You think I was too soft on her." It was a statement, not a question.

Logan immediately replaced his frown with a neutral expression, not wanting to cause the man before him any distress. "I'm just a kid, what do I know?"

At this Paul shook his head. "You may still be young, but you're not a kid anymore. You're fully capable of making your own decisions and judgements." He sighed and sat back in the chair. "I know I should be more strict with her, that I'm spoiling her. It's just that when she looks at me with those big, blue eyes, I can't say no." He thought for a moment. "Maybe it's because we almost lost her once."

At this Logan's eyes grew wide. "What?"

Paul nodded. "Yeah, we don't really talk about it. It's not a pleasant memory. It was when she was three, Ben was five. We had a picnic near a river on a family friend's farm. I took my eyes off her for just a second..." Paul swallowed hard. "Next thing we knew she was screaming and crying as the river swept her away..." Paul looked away, resting his gaze on something outside the window. His voice was raw, full of emotion. "We eventually managed to get her out, but she wasn't breathing. Mary started CPR, I called an ambulance. It was the worst few minutes of my life. Hoping, praying that she would just take a breath." He was silent. "Somehow we got her breathing again. The ambulance took her to the hospital where they ran test after test. Luckily, there was no lasting effects, and I don't think she really remembers it, but I do."

He looked at Logan and gave him a sad smile. "That's why I can't be too hard on her. I know in the long-term it won't be good for her as a person. Heck, I can already see it with the way she behaves. And I know it's not fair to Ben. But with the way things stand now, I know he'll be alright. He'll get a good job and meet an amazing woman. He'll build a happy life for himself. But I'm worried about Maggie. I'm not always going to be there to look after her. Ben will have his hands full with his own family. But who will look after her?"