Chapter 11

There was a knock on the door. Maggie ran to open it. "Hi! Welcome..." Her smile faltered when her eyes landed on the smirk before her. A pair of brown eyes stared at her excitedly. Her brows knotted together. "Kyle? What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for the housewarming, of course!" he pushed past her and looked around. "Wow! I like what you've done with the place." He turned around. "Oh! Here." He handed her a bottle of wine. "A little housewarming gift."

She just stared at him dumbfounded. "What..." She was struggling to find the words. Then she straightened out. "Actually, Kyle, it's not really a housewarming. It's just dinner. With Ben and Lisa."

He looked at her, his smile widening. "Yep, that's where I heard about it. Sorry for inviting myself, but I just couldn't help it. I was just so curious to see where you were living, and how you were getting on. You never called after the barbeque, you know."

Maggie smiled, trying her best to look natural. "It's been a hectic few weeks." she answered, deciding to not tell him that she never gave him a second thought after that day. Then she asked what was really bugging her. "Uhm, how did you know where I live?"

He chuckled. "Oh, that was easy. I know where Logan lives and I knew this apartment was listed until a few weeks ago, so I called a colleague to confirm, and here I am!" He took the bottle of wine from her hands and walked into the kitchen. "How about we get this party started?" He pulled out a bottle opener from her drawer and started opening the bottle.

Maggie could only stare at him. A chill went down her spine. The more time she spent with him, the more he freaked her out. Then another knock sounded on the door.

She opened it and relief flooded through her when she saw Logan standing before her. She gave a small smile. "Logan."

He noticed the look of relief but didn't have much time to think it over. Instantly Kyle was standing beside Maggie.

He frowned. "Oh, Logan was invited too?" He gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

Logan looked at the man next to Maggie, his eyes landing on his hand. He felt his irritation grow. He nodded stiffly. "Kyle. I didn't realize you would be here too."

Maggie saw the dark look in Logan's eyes. He looked at her disapprovingly. She had to explain. "Actually..."

"Of course, I would be here too." Kyle interjected. "We hit it off so well at the barbeque." He stepped aside to let Logan in. "Come on in."

Logan clenched his jaw. Kyle looked extremely comfortable in Maggie's apartment. He hadn't realized that Maggie and Kyle were so friendly. He held up a bottle of wine. "I brought wine." Then his eyes landed on the opened bottle and two glasses on the counter.

Maggie nervously took the bottle from him. "Thank you, Logan." She gave him a small smile, or at least, she tried to. He looked pissed. She cleared her throat. "I think I'll go and check on dinner." She walked over to the kitchen, glad to be out under Logan's scrutiny and away from Kyle.

Logan looked at Kyle staring wishfully at Maggie. He needed a drink. He looked at the already opened bottle of wine and felt his disdain rise. He walked over to the fridge and took out a beer instead.

Maggie could feel the tension building behind her, but she tried her best to focus on the pot before her. Then a spoon plunged into her stew. She looked up and saw Kyle putting it in his mouth.

"Mmm." he sighed. "That's amazing, Maggie! Your husband is going to be one lucky guy." he winked at her.

She could only stare at him, too dumbfounded by the whole situation to say anything. Suddenly his hand was next to her face and he brushed some hair behind her ear. She stood frozen, like a statue. He looked down at her, staring at her lips. No, no, no. She could feel Logan's cold gaze from the living room. Luckily just then, Kyle's phone rang.