Chapter 25

It was a Saturday night in the Duke household. John Lucas was playing in the living room, Luke was watching him, and Sarah Lynn was at the store getting groceries. Luke had fixed supper for Sarah Lynn and was waiting for her to get home so they could eat. When he opened the door to greet her as she came in, he noticed that her eyes were red and puffy. "What's wrong , sweetheart?", he said. "Nothing.", she said as she walked past him and sat the groceries on the table. Still not looking at him she said," I smell supper. What did you fix?". "Just some spaghetti. Why are your eyes red? You look like you've been crying.", he said. "Oh nothing, it's just allergies.", she said. "Sarah Lynn. I know you've been crying. Now tell me what the hell happened!" "Nothing, Luke! Leave me alone!" "Tell me, Sarah Lynn. And why did you take so long getting the groceries?" "Just leave me alone, I said! I have enough problems without getting a million questions from you when I get home! Why can't you just mind your own business?! I'm going to put John Lucas to bed."
An hour later, Luke was sitting on the couch reading when Sarah Lynn walked in. "Oh, so are you ready to talk to me, now?", he said. "Luke, don't start with me. Just mind your own business and I'll mind mine.", she said. "Sarah Lynn, I saw your eyes. I'm not stupid. I know you were crying and I want to know why." "Just stop, okay? It doesn't matter." "Oh yes it does matter! I have a right to know why my wife came home crying!" She started sobbing. "Sarah Lynn just tell me what's wrong, baby. Please? I love you." "Fine! I'm pregnant!", she yelled as she ran to their bedroom.
When Luke got in there, she was laying on the bed crying her eyes out. "Sarah Lynn, honey, why are crying? This is great news!" "Luke, no it's not. We don't have the money for another child." "Sarah Lynn, you let me worry about that. Now I want you to stop your crying. I will make sure we have the money. Don't worry. I want you to go in there and call Uncle Jesse & Daisy and Bo & Katherine and tell them. They'll be so excited."