PART 6 • the first night

< Evelyn's pov >

We were playing with Lacey in the garden , chasing her around and playing fetch .

Athena called us in and we all sat at the table, everyone tucked in and started eating but I sat still for a minute , I wasn't extremely religious but I still went to church often and prayed before eating dinner , I know that my life wasn't great but I like to believe that my parents and brother died because they felt that they had fulfilled their reason to live .

< Bobby's pov >

Everyone was eating , then I looked over to Evelyn to see her sitting patiently with her eyes closed and hands under the table .

I noticed Buck about to tap her shoulder but I stopped him as soon as I realised what she was doing .

I sent a signal to Buck to let him know that Ev was praying .

I'm not sure why but this put a huge smile on my face , I also liked to pray before meals but I had done it sightly earlier than Ev .

< Evelyn's pov >

I sat up and saw Bobby smiling at me , I sent him a smile back .

I sat on my legs so I could reach the table , I was small and I owned it like a boss 😎.

B : which one do you want

E : can I have cheese please

B : aww of course you can

Buck put it on my plate , I took a couple of bites and put it down . I picked up my drink with two hands , I'm not sure why but these people had some massive glasses for their water . Buck looked at me like he was about to cry but in a funny way , is there a funny way ?

I started drinking my water and Buck started filming me , I took the glass away from my face and held it to my chest so I would drop it , I pulled a confused look at Buck and turned my head . Bobby spoke up from behind him :

Bo :it's fine he's just mental

E : ah ok 🤷‍♀️

I went on my knees so I could put my glass back , I sat down again on my legs and ate the rest of my pizza , giving the crust to Lacey.

May was sitting next to me and occasionally gave Lacey some pizza too , every time she did , I gave her a smile .

M : do you want me to get you another one Ev ?

E : no thank you

Bo : are you sure , you only had one

E : I'm sure , thank you

Athena smiled at me sympathetically and returned to her pizza .

I gave Lacey a pat on the head and sat down on my chair normally , I could hardly see over the table but I couldn't move because Lacey was resting her head and paw on my legs.