red

TW: Drunk driving & death

I looked up from my desk looking at my team mates besides me feeling thankful for having this job a whole 3 years now. I'm wearing the same outfit I wore my first day on the job, I figured it's sort of a celebratory outfit. A fire red pantsuit paired with nude heels. My hair in a sleeked back ponytail with eyeliner sharp enough to kill a man. According to Garcia, she's glad that there's someone else in the office that wears "bold things".

I finished up my paperwork early, luckily, there haven't been many cases for a few weeks now and they've been fairly local at best, so paperwork has once again ruined our social lives. Luckily enough, Rossi is kind enough to host a dinner this evening to celebrate my 3 years with the team, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

I eventually made my way up to Hotch's office to drop off the paperwork that I had finished.

"Come in" I hear him say from behind the door, after my subtle knock.

"I have my paperwork all finished for you, do you need anything else today, sir?" I hand him the files as our fingers brush across each other's.

"No, that's all Sydney, thank you" he says with a small smile.

"Not a problem. Are you coming to Rossi's tonight?" I inquire

"You can count on it." he says eyeing my outfit, "you look nice today Evans."

"Thank you Hotch, you don't look too bad yourself." I say back to him leading myself out the door with a quick wink.

It's been like this ever since we became best friends. Subtle flirting here and there but neither one of us has made a move. Part of me wonders if it's the chase that I'm stuck on, and this cat and mouse game is the catch. Nonetheless, it's been happening for two years, what's going to change now?

"Mommy!!!"

I turn around and see my daughter running toward me at full speed.

"Hello, baby girl, how are you?" I ask her kneeling down at her level.

"I'm doing better now that I'm with you!" She says to me while holding my face in her hands. I smother her in kisses all over her face while she giggles trying to get away and I see Nancy, her nanny slowly appear behind her smiling at the two of us.

"Hey Nance! How was today?"

"It was great, she's a little firecracker but we had a blast today. I just wanted to make sure it was still good for me to drop her off and that you guys didn't have any new cases."

"No new cases, thank God. I appreciate everything you're doing Nancy. I'll see you same time tomorrow morning?"

"That's great! See you then" she says to me as she heads out the doors of the bullpen.

"Well, my sweet Gabriella, what do you say we tell Aunt Pen goodbye before we leave?"

"OH HECK YES" she screams, the attention in the room on us, as she runs out the doors to Pen's batcave. I look around giving a small wave mouthing sorry, I look up and make eye contact with Hotch before he gives me a small smile and wave before I head out the doors quickly grabbing my things, blushing like I was kissed for the first time.

••••••

"Gabriella Marie, it's time to go, you will see Aunt Pen another day, I promise"

"Goodbye my sweet angel face, I love you to pieces! Be good for your mom!"

I look at Penelope and mouth a small thank you to her as they say their last goodbyes before heading out to the car.