4: candy store

╰─▗ ▘➤𖥸 chapter four
where eliza and rachel are different
sides of the same coin and will
both do whatever to be at the top.

          LUNCH PERIODS ON MONDAY AFTERNOONS were key to both Eliza and Quinn's enviable academic success at Mckinley High. In their two years at the school, they had never missed a study session in the library. They were often the only occupants apart from the librarian, so it really wasn't a surprise that they were far ahead of their classmates.

Eliza strolled in with a mischievous smile she was not able to contain. She sat down across from her blonde friend. "Okay, so you know how you've been feeling like you need a popularity boost?"

"A little louder, please."

"Shut up, there's no one here. Unless you're embarrassed to let Ms. Hall know." They both snuck looks at the elderly woman placed in charge of the joint. "Anyways, so I was coming up with ideas for insurance for my place at the top and the genius in me came up with something called the Glist."

"Should I know what that means?"

"A list ranking the glee members on a basis of desirability and controversy. And then, every day, I'd just put you and me at the top, earning us both major boosts."

Quinn nodded, smiling at her friend with pride. "I love it."

Eliza smiled back, just happy that she could help Quinn get back to her glory days. "I thought you would. It's perfect. Foolproof."

"Who did it?"

So, not entirely foolproof.

Mr. Schue clenched the newest edition of the Glist in his hand, his face almost as red as the marker that had been used to pen in the names. "This is serious. Principal Figgins is threatening to disband the club."

Santana crossed her arms with an attitude. "Why are we playing this game? We all know it was Puck."

Puck glared. "Back off. I didn't do squat."

"Then why is your girlfriend first on the Glist?" Tina questioned.

Because she needs it more.

"And why am I last?" Rachel added. "Aside from the fact that I refused to put out for you."

Because it'd be suspicious if you weren't there.

"Okay enough! No one is accusing anyone of anything." Mr. Schue paused, then looked at the suspected perpetrator. "Puck, seriously, did you do it?"

"Sounds a lot like accusing to me," Eliza said. It was the least she could do for her friend that was being ganged up on at her expense.

He smiled at her, then settled on Mr. Schue with a look of offense. "I said no. I'm a delinquent, sure. I like setting stuff on fire and beating up people I don't know. I own that. But I'm not a liar."

Mr. Schue moved on in a snap, not dawdling on his own hypocrisy. "Alright, here's the important point. Between this and posting Coach Sylvester's personal video on Youtube, you guys are getting a pretty bad reputation."

"Why is that such a bad thing?" Artie said. "Maybe if we seem more dangerous, people would stop flushing my glasses down the toilet."

Eliza's lips parted. She knew that her male counterparts had done a handful of horrible things to assert their reign over the school just as the Cheerios, but hearing about some of the things they've done still was truly a rude awakening.