5: total eclipse of the heart

╰─▗ ▘➤𖥸 chapter five
where Eliza and Jesse are
there for each other.

ELIZA CAME TO ABOUT TWENTY minutes after she went down. Her eyes fluttered open, sore as they adjusted to harsh, white fluorescent lights. Several health posters hung on the wall straight in her view, helping her piece together that she currently sat in the nurse's office. She turned her head, and her view changed to that of Quinn Fabray.

          "Hey. You scared us." Quinn spoke quietly, but Eliza was still able to detect the worry in her voice.

          A lump formed in Eliza's throat as her friend's demeanour forced the reality of her situation to make itself horribly known. Her lips parted, hesitating before her words formed. "...I didn't mean for it to get this bad."

          "You're lucky you only fainted."

          Eliza sat up immediately. That voice did not belong to Quinn, nor was it the school nurse. There was no mystery as to who had spoken, Eliza knew, thus the dread she felt moving her head towards him.

          Jesse sat in the corner, in the seat next to the sink and cabinets. His arms were crossed over his diaphragm and his face was littered with worry despite the tougher tone he spoke in. There was no judgment to be seen in his expression, and that loosened the knots in Eliza's stomach, causing a more bearable nausea.

          "I had to tell him," Quinn said.

          "No, you did not," Eliza replied, her voice returning to a normal volume.

          "You can't be mad at me. I thought I could be there for you alone too, but then Finn calls me while I'm at home sick, on the verge of tears because his sister, my best friend," Quinn paused, gulping so that her words would stop coming out in a flurry of panic, "..collapsed on the ground. You need a support system of more than one, and I figured that if you wanted Santana or Brittany to know you would've told them by now, so I told the only other person you were legitimate friends with."

          Eliza buried her face in her hands at the news of her brother's reaction. That pained her far more than the bludgeoning headache she was harbouring. She could say with her entire chest that she would not be able to bear whatsoever if any harm came to him, and she knew he felt similarly, especially if he was willing to contact Quinn for her sake.

          She sighed. "I really can't be mad, can I?" She looked at Jesse, whose expression softened after witnessing the moment between the girls. "Guess you know now. Save the lectures, I was brought down to Earth the second I felt myself going down. I just... need you." She hoped that there wouldn't be a need for further elaboration, she could not stress enough how uncomfortable talking about her situation made her, especially with someone she did not plan to tell at all.

          Jesse rose from his chair and went to stand behind Quinn. His body weight shifted to the right side of his tall frame as he leaned against the wall. "I'll be here," he replied, his words as scarce as hers, but saying just as much.

          Quinn watched the pair share a gentle smile. She knew that she made the right decision. She cleared her throat. "Does this mean that I have to be friends with him, now?"

          Eliza chuckled. "That's entirely up to you two."

          Jesse looked at Quinn, unimpressed with her disdain. "I'm not as irritating as everyone chooses to believe, Fabray."

          Eliza raised her hand. "Somehow, I can attest to that."

          "Is my memory failing me or did you not practically tackle him two weeks ago?" Quinn said.