1

Cheshire, Summer 2005

*Gary's POV*

"Everything's perfect" I think to myself.

Standing in the garden of my big mansion looking at the lake that also is part of my garden. Today's the day. After all those years of living mostly with depression my life is turning around. Well, it actually did a long time ago, but it's about to just get better. I turn around on my terrace and smile as I see all the candlelight’s I put on, as well as the huge bunch of red roses. I prepared a table and cooked dinner, the champagne is already cold. I straighten my shirt and while doing so, my hand slightly brushes over my trouser pocket, where the little box sits.

Then, suddenly I hear the main door open and close again. It's a big, heavy wooden door. I smile and quickly go inside, towards the kitchen.
"Sophie?" I ask, but I don't get an answer immediately.
I walk into the main hall and see her. My lovely girlfriend, as beautiful as ever. Blonde hair, blue eyes and a figure like a goddess, slim and fit, but still with nice curves. I clear my throat.
She turns around and smiles at me "Hello Gary."
I smile back, stroll lazily towards her and kiss her "Hello to you too. Missed you."
"Aww...missed you too babe."
I take her hand "Come on, I've got a surprise for you."
Sophie blushes and smiles "Go on."
We take a step when suddenly her phone rings.
I chuckle "Take it."
She throws me an apologetic look and walks upstairs.

Five minutes later, she is back down and I smile. My smile fades though. She seems to have changed.
"Baby, what's wrong?"
She shrugs "Nothing...I don't know...Anyway, I thought, you had a surprise for me?"
I smile "I have. I hope you're hungry. Close your eyes darling."
She closes her eyes and I lay my hand over her eyes as well. I slowly walk us outside on to the terrace.
I pull my hand away "Open your eyes." 
I glance at her as her jaw drops "Oh Gary! This is so beautiful! Thank you! I love you!" 
I smile lovingly as I can see her eyes fill with tears of happiness. I gesture for her to sit down and open the bottle of champagne. I sit down opposite of her and take her hand in mine, brushing my thumb over her knuckles. 
"How long has it been now, Sophie?  3 years?" 
She nods "Mhm...Where has time gone?"
"I don't know...Seems like yesterday we met in that pub in Manchester..." 
As I look into her eyes, I can only see love and adoration, the same that I hope she can see in my eyes. I decide that it's finally time to do it. 
"Sophie. Please, look at me. I want you to know that I love you and that I never want to let you go. You are the most beautiful woman I know and I just want to spend the rest of my life waking up next to you every morning." 
I get up and drop to one knee, while Sophie is crying her eyes out "Sophie, Will you marry me?"
I look up at her and I'm met with a huge smile "YES! Gary of course I will!" 
I get up a shit-eating grin covering my face. Sophie gets up too and we kiss each other passionately before I give her the 12,000 pounds diamond ring I had bought her.
"Oh Gary...I love you so much" she chokes.
A lone tear trickles down my cheek as I answer "I love you too."