Six

She was used to the boys on the reservation being rough and rowdy

She was used to the boys on the reservation being rough and rowdy. She liked how they teased each other and fooled around mimicking the player at bat. They were like brothers and she was that annoying big sister who always calmed them down when things got to be a little too much.

"Aw come on Wen, he can take it." Embry said tucking Quil's head under his arm.

"Let him go you brute." She laughed as Quil tried to swing at him.

"Fine." He said letting the boy go. Moving to sit next to Wendy as he placed an arm around her shoulder pulling her closer. "Wendy. When will you go out with me" Embry smiled

"Call, she's way too far out of your league." Jacob said swinging an imaginary bat, placing his hand on his forehead looking into the imaginary distance. This made Wendy laugh.

Edward was very restless. Nervous.

Knowing full well that with his family's presence, more of the tribes history will reveal themselves. His only hope was that Wendy wasn't anywhere near them.

"She'll be fine Edward." Rosalie said as she saw him pace back and forth.

"We don't know that." He said going from one end of the house to the other.

"Her dads there. They're not to risk exposing themselves just like us." She argued. Although very true, he couldn't come to that same agreement.

"What if she gets them mad? What if they hurt her?" His words of worry only grew as he thought of the possibilities. It didn't help that Alice couldn't see Wendy in any vision.

"She's sweet. She's shy. And she's well mannered. The only think you have to worry about is making sure they don't fall in love with her." Jasper said coming into the room.

Edward instantly felt a wave on calmness wash over him. Like a breath of fresh air after being stuck in a musty room. He gave a quick thanks to Jasper.

Wendy picked at the slab of meat on her plate slathered generously in barbecue sauce. She preferred the cob of corn with melted butter and the skewered lemon shrimp. Trading her meat for her dads shrimp.

"Hey Lana can you get me another cold one?" Her father asked as she walked into the kitchen for a can of soda.

"Sure. Billy you want one too?" Wendy asked.

"Yes Lana. Thanks dear." He called out.

Three people were allowed to call Wendy by her middle name. Her dad, uncle Billy, and uncle Harry.

As she opened the beer bottles in the kitchen, a red dot appeared on her hand. Inspecting it only for a moment to determine it was blood. Her hand shot towards her nose which was indeed bleeding out slowly.

Rushing to grab a napkin she leaned forward over the sink, it's a common misconception to lull your head back, don't do that. She stayed up right, because lying flat or tilting your head back can cause you to choke on the blood.

Don't swallow, blood in the stomach can make you sick and cause you to throw up. Don't put anything in or up your nose, that can make it worst. Pinch the soft part of your nose shut for about ten minutes.

That's what her doctor told her. "Hey Lana, everything- you're bleeding." Her dad said rushing to her side.

"I'm ok. Just a nose bleed. Dr-dry air I think." She said holding up a hand to stop him from tilting her head back.

"I'm going to call your doctor." He said walking out.

Edward waited for her at school but she didn't show. He stopped by her house, only to see that she wasn't there.

"Lana's at the doctors. She'll be back tomorrow." Charlie Swan said as he stepped out of his cruiser.

"I'm sorry to intrude. I came by to drop off her missing work." He ducked into his car to pull out the school work.

"Dr. Cullen's son right? Edward?" Charlie asked as he took the papers. "Thanks. I'm sure Lana will appreciate it."

"Lana?"

"Her middle name. Wendy Lana Swan." Charlie nodded. His phone began to ring. "Speak of the devil. Excuse me."

Edward gave him a nod but listened intently. Hearing how her nose bleed was of nothing to be concerned about. Air conditions or her medication could be the cause, and would likely happen again. They are prescribing her a nasal spray.

Wendy's fathers mind would flash the moment while at the reservation, Wendy taking care of the bloodied nose. The red soaked napkin in her hand as the other pinched her nose. The smear of red on that same hand.

The image of her blood sent chills down his spine and the thought of its smell made his hunger grow and the longing for its taste sent his mind into a frenzy.