Chapter 4

Chapter 4

~Disclaimer : I still don't own Divergent~

She awoke with a start, violently jerking around in the uncomfortable chair while gasping for air. The sterile atmosphere was frightening Drea. Is there something wrong with me? Finally she remembered - the Aptitude test! It wasn't real! It was just a simulation! Those words became a mantra for her as she allowed the tears to fall at last, her voice barely a whisper in between her sobs.
She was startled by a gentle, small hand touching her shoulder. "It's alright, dear." Sunva's voice was soft, but her eyes hid a grim expression. Anger? Fear?
"T-there were soldiers and..I couldn't safe them!" Drea sobbed, barely managing to speak in full sentences. "Shh, I know dear. It's alright. You're not supposed to be able to safe them." The Amity frowned. "This test is cruel. Not everybody is fit for dealing with such violence!"
After a while Drea managed to calm down. "What was my result?" Sunva stared blankly at the teenager. "...It's Dauntless. What else could it be?"
It felt like a Boulder just crashed from the ceiling into Drea, crushing her hopes and suffocating her with its heavy weight. "What?" Her throat felt dry. For a moment Sunva's facade seemed to falter. Was that worry flashing in her eyes?
"Your result is Dauntless. You should leave now. There are others who have to take the test as well as you." Drea flinched at the hardness her voice but obeyed and left, her legs still shaking slightly.
She must've looked as sick as she felt, because as soon as she left the building Mel ran towards her to steady her friend's strep. "Drea! Are you sick?? You are so pale! What happened?!" Drea only shook her head, leaning on her friends shoulder grateful for the support. "I'm okay. Thanks Mel, but I'm not sure I can make it onto the train."
"Ah don't worry, we'll find someone strong enough to help you."
Together the two managed to walk to the station right as the train was passing. They broke into a run, Mel heaving herself into the cabin. Drea was at her heels, jumping only a few seconds later. She grabbed the handle in the moment the train was gaining speed again.
The sudden movement made her tighten her grip, the sweat from her palms making it even more difficult to hold on to the handle while trying to pull herself into the safety of the compartment.
After what felt like ages, somebody decided to help her. Panting, Drea stumbled into the middle, nearly falling down in the process. It took a while for her eyes to adjust to the dim light before she could try to look at the face of her savior.
"Thanks!" She sputtered, feeling the heat creep to her cheeks.
The one who pulled her into the train was a tall, well-built boy with blond hair and seagreen eyes. He rolled his eyes and turned around.
"Whatever. Just be careful you don't trip over your own feet when you try to get off again, stiff." He said calmly, walking away.
Drea narrowed her eyes. "Asshole..." She muttered under her breath. Next to her, Mel grinned and lightly elbowed her into the side.
"But he's hot."

When she finally arrived home Drea went straight to her room, ignoring her mother's questions about the Aptitude test. She was delighted to fall asleep as soon an her head hit the pillow, looking forward to a good rest before the choosing ceremony in the morning.

When she opened her eyes she looked into her fathers friendly face. He was smiling, a deep, warm emotion clearly visible in his eyes. "What should we name her, Carter?" Drea turned around to see her mother, obviously very exhausted but also smiling, with a baby in her arms. "What about Drea?" He said quietly, gazing lovingly at her mother, his wife.
Her expression darkened. "You're not satisfied." "Darling, what do you mean?" "You wanted a son... You always said-" "Jen, dear, I'm delighted she's a girl!" He interrupted her rambling and leaned over to kiss his wife's temple. "I love you. And I love her."
Her mother smiled.
"I love you too."
Drea stared at her parents in confusion. Her father loved her? Since when? When did it stop?

Suddenly she was awoken by a fist banging at her door. "DREA! GET UP YOU LAZY ASS!" She rolled her eyes. "Shut up, Sebastian you prick!" Drea growled as she got up and readied herself. She knew she was about to 'choose' to be stuck here forever.
"I'm coming." She sighed as she went down the stairs to catch up with her family.

"Let's go."