Chapter 1

Chapter 1

~Disclaimer: I do not own Divergent.~

She stood in the middle of the pit, the crowd cheering for her as she had rightfully earned her place in Dauntless. Enjoying the rhythmical chanting of her name she closed her eyes in a short moment of victory. A few moments later she felt the arms of her mother around her, engulfing her in a hug. Suddenly the crowd parted and she heard a painfully familiar voice saying words she never had heard before.
"This is my daughter."
She couldn't remember ever hearing that much pride in her fathers voice. "Drea!"
"Dad!" Drea's eyes turned watery.
"Drea!!" His voice sounded more urgent. She furrowed her brow in confusion. Did he think she didn't hear him?
"DREA!" Her father's voice turned harsh and angry.
The world around her began to fade. "No!" She whimpered.
"Please, stay!"

"DREA! Get up already! You're going to be late for the aptitude test!"
She groaned. The aptitude test. How could she forget? Brushing a few strands of strawberry-blonde hair out of her face she stood up and readied herself for the day.
She was sick of all the dark clothes and basically everything she associated with her faction. However she didn't dare to word her thoughts, knowing her father could hear even the faintest of her whispers from over a mile away.

Walking down the stairs to the kitchen Drea could hear the laughter of her younger brothers. Her brothers, who weren't a disappointment to their family.

She entered the room, greeted by only her mother, ignoring her youngest brother, Sebastian, glaring at her.The glare wasn't what was bothering her; it was the way her father and her other brother, Alexander, were ignoring her, treating her like air.
"Good morning, dear. What do you want to eat?" Her mother smiled softly at her.
Drea shook her head. "Thank you mother but I am not hungry."
"Are you nervous?"
"A little..." She responded hesitantly.
"Look at her, she's scared!" Sebastian sneered. "Hey Drea, you seem a little stiff!" He was quickly silenced by a glare of his father. "Nervous? Nervous is something for the softer factions. For people like the Abnegation." He practically spat out the word like an insult. "You are Dauntless. Behave like it. And remember it during your aptitude test." He narrowed his eyes before leaving the kitchen.
Drea was surprised. This was the first time her father had given her something like an advise. "Probably only so I don't embarrass our family any more by leaving Dauntless..." She thought.
"Don't you see I'm trying?"