Catch 22

I am yet to discover if my stories are on these apps to file a copyright infringement injunction on google or even reporting plagiarism to Wattpad.

The problem is both Novelbee & Volcano Ebooks demand access to the data on the phone (contact lists, photos, etc) to proceed with the download which is a HUGE red flag.

Also, I have an iPhone, these are android apps. So, I am borrowing a friend's old phone today, restoring it to the factory settings to try and download these apps.

But there are screenshots of others' works on Twitter.

As soon I know the status of MY stories, I can act.

The last time I had photographic proof (again screenshots) of my books on teenfic which I posted on the only published book here.

We don't even know (as far I know) if these are mirror sites (they're using the same covers as on Wattpad) or have actually downloaded the data this time.

I wish WP would clarify the situation rather than make us do all the legwork and file a DMCA take-down notice (which I did last time with teenfic and once before) is a long tedious process and doing so every couple of months is not fair.

What is undeniable is the material is being taken from this platform.

What I've discovered is the reporting process/ raising a ticket on Wattpad is DESIGNED to be impossible and frustrating. I did begin to process to submit a ticket and then stopped due to the fact I didn't have proof and had to share even more personal information with Wattpad.

As soon as I know if my stories are there, I will raise a ticket (for now I have reported it as a bug BUT GOT NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of a ticket being raised.)

Then I file an injunction on google for copyright infringement ( a few of us a doing so) and then file a DMCA take-down notice.

As the stories are plagiarised from Wattpad but Wattpad rules expect us to file the file a DMCA take-down notice (as specified in their processes which ain't fair if the stories were taken from their platform.)

I, for one, am so frustrated by this rigmarole.

This is a Catch 22 where only the writers suffer. Wattpad has made it impossible to track tickets and activities.

The cherry on top is 'reporting a problem/ raising a ticket' for plagiarism OUTSIDE Wattpad is an incredibly convoluted process.

***