Tavern Rush

(NSFW: sex~)

It was busy season at the White Rose Bar and Tavern, and Serinity reached out for some helping hands for the summer. Her first message had of course been to her son, Saalah, filled with long winded laments about how he never visited his poor, lonely mother anymore now that he had relocated to be with Bai Yusheng almost a year ago. She had gone so far as to leave some tear drop stains on the paper, and Saalah had rolled his eyes at the dramatics. He went to see her at least once every other week and called her every few days, or else she would show up at the sect looking like her world had come crashing down around her, complete with a trembling lip and wide teary eyes. It was all for show, he knew. Serinity was always playful and teasing like that. It wouldn’t take long before she was hugging him and laughing and chastising him for waiting so long to see her. 

He loved his mother, but she could be quite the handful. But, he understood why she was acting like this, though. Saalah was one of two sons and the first to move out on his own. She wasn’t a helicopter parent by any means, but she was quite theatrical. Saalah could appreciate how much she cared. Theatrics aside, he had missed working at the ‘Bar and Tavern’. 

He had always thought it silly that she called it that. The place was a glistening palace carved into a mountain side in the space between realms complete with all the luxuries one would find at some five star spa retreat. He remembered how awestruck he had first been when she had brought him there, and how confused he had been when he walked in the glistening front doors to find a full bar set up and an array of mythical patrons in what looked like a 19th century ballroom! He later discovered that was just the type of person Serinity was. Very, and he meant VERY, over the top. But she was kind and giving, too.

    The letter had asked for both him and Bai Yusheng to assist with the summer rushes with the promise of the use of all the facilities on the grounds. Bai Yusheng had, of course, excitedly agreed. They hardly got the chance to leave their sect, and they were more than happy to help their longtime friend. However, they had some pressing issues to get sorted before they left, and Saalah decided to go on ahead of them.

    He was behind the bar, mixing drinks and talking with one of the regular guests he knew when Bai Yusheng arrived. At first he didn’t recognize them, and his head whipped back fast, half a perfunctory greeting pausing on his tongue as he took them in. They weren’t in their elegant cultivation robes that he had grown accustomed to. Instead, Bai Yusheng wore an ivory tight fitting suit, the cut professional and hugging their narrow waist that it flared around. The slim fit slacks they wore hugged the curve of their hips in a way their cultivation pants did not, framing their long, slender legs down to their designer shoes. The only thing that was remotely similar was the high neck under shirt they wore, but even that had some delicate lace work that drew his eye and dried his throat. 

    The demon he had been talking to followed his gaze to the immortal and looked about to drop their drink as they gawked. Bai Yusheng looked around the room before catching his eye and waving as they started to make their way over, looking oblivious to the look Saalah was sure he was giving that screamed, 'Fish flopping on dry land during a forest fire.'

“Saalah!” The demon in front of him called, meeting his still dazed eyes as he turned back. “Saalah, hey, do you know that Immortal? They seem to know you!” The demon shot what he thought was another sneak peek at the cultivator approaching them across the ballroom. Saalah knew they had to be aware. Bai Yusheng had sharp senses and was always preaching situational awareness. 

“Ah, yeah,” he said, clearing his throat when his voice came out a little cracked. “Yes, that’s my partner…” At this point, half the bar had turned to watch the immortal approach, and before Saalah could begin to comprehend the conflicted feelings he had about that, they all turned back and leaned in conspiratorial, as if Bai Yusheng would NOT notice all these immortals staring then converging on their partner like a pack of gossipers! Saalah felt his cheeks burning, and he had all but forgot the drink he had been making, opting instead to immediately shoot what he had in hand and grimacing at the taste.