New News And Period Blues

"Mom, I need you!" I hollered, busting through my front door and careening down the hall, past the staircase, and into the family room. She was sitting on the couch with Brielle in her lap and a book in her hands.

Looking up, she gave me a knowing smile. "What's up, kiddo?"

"Can I. . .talk to you? Alone?" I looked at Bri and she scowled.

"It's reading time, Piper. If I don't finish this stinkin' book, I get chores!" Wrinkling her nose, she lifted her chin defiantly. "I'm staying here. You can talk while I read."

I thought for a moment. "10 bucks for 20 minutes."

She agreed without hesitation." Done. I'll go set the timer." And out she walked with a satisfied smirk on her face.

Mom rolled her eyes, patting the cushion next to her. "Tell me what's up, honey."

I collapsed beside her and immediately wrapped my arms around her waist, resting my head on her shoulder.

I always knew there was something about a mother's hugs- a magical property that could make you spill your deepest and darkest secrets, but feel better about it all afterwards.

"This is about that boy, isn't it?" I felt her fingers brush my hair softly as I nodded.

"I don't know what to do," I scowled. "I've been a huge emotional mess since the day before I found him and now I'm so fricken' confused. . ."

Sigh.

"Let it all out, kiddo." 

"Everything I feel for him reminds me of all those stories I've been told growing up- the ones about mates. He smells good, looks good, and his touch makes my skin feel like it's on fire or something. I already feel homesick when I'm not around him and it kinda hurts that he didn't try and call me back when I just left. Which is. . .stupid.

"And how am I supposed to tell if he really IS my mate, if I have no wolf? What was it like for you and dad? How did you know for sure?" I paused for a breath and glanced up at my mother's face. She was smiling softly.

"I know you won't like this answer, Piper, but your father wasn't my mate."

. . .say what now?

My mouth dropped open. "Then what- How- Why. . .huh?"

It was her turn to sigh then. ". Your father never found his mate and mine had. . .passed on." The pained look on her face tugged at my heartstrings, but the sadness in her eyes was less intense than I would have expected. "Before he- Daniel- died, he. . .got a release. . ."

I furrowed my brows in confusion. "A release?"

"It's possible to be released from the ties of a mate, Piper. A route unlike pure rejection. Not many people know this. I'm sure the information would be abused if it were common knowledge, but I suppose me and Daniel were a special case."

I was speechless. Before her words could even fully process, she'd moved on.

"We were good friends back then, your father and I, and we were. . .getting older. I loved that man to death and believe it or not, Piper, fireworks can be made. Sparks can fly if you both work for that flame and neither of us wanted to be alone."

Stunned. Completely baffled. That's what I was.

. . .well, THIS is not what I was expecting.

Mom shrugged. "I'll give you the full story later, sweetheart. I'd rather not take that trip through memory lane just now."

I nodded, stared at her for a moment in thought, before my shoulders slumped in defeat. "Who am I supposed to ask about this? Who do I talk to? This whole situation is so stupid and embarrassing. . ."