22

𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃
no one notices your sadness until it turns into anger, and then you're the bad person

𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃no one notices your sadness until it turns into anger, and then you're the bad person

MILLIE STOOD IN HER room, shaking violently. Her hands were at her side in tight fists, nails digging into her skin, blood dripping onto the floor. Sweat clung to her, hair was matted and plastered to her face, clothes clung to her body. Her eyes were blank though, they were a few shades bluer than they usually are, pupils wide and darker.

Millie was doing the dishes, something that was ordered by her father and mother. But, she had accidentally dropped a glass cup, and the shards went everywhere.

She didn't care that she was stepping on glass, she was more worried about what would happen if her father or mother found out that she dropped something.

She didn't clean it up fast enough, because within a few minutes, her father came bounding in, the smell of vodka and cigarettes lingering as he glared down at her.

He began to hit her repeatedly, spewing curse words, telling her how she was pathetic and a waste of space.

Her wails got louder as her head and back hit the counter behind her. Her head throbbed as she shielded her face with her forearms and slid down the wall to the ground.

Ten. She was only ten when this happened. And her baby brother was only four at the time. He was crying in the corner, yelling at their adoptive father to stop, but the old man wouldn't listen.

Wanting to protect him from possibly getting hit too, Millie's blue eyes snapped up to her father's and caught his hand that he was about to hit her with. A burst of adrenaline hit her and she bent his wrist, making him stumble backwards as a loud cry of pain left him.

She stood up - a girl that just turned ten - and looked her father in the eyes for the first time since he adopted her two years ago. "Don't touch me," she spat at him. Her eye was bruised, her lip was busted, and bruises were displayed over her collar bone, arms, and legs. He really did a number on her.

"You little bitch!" All of a sudden, he had a knife out and threatened her with it. In his eyes, she was the monster and he is the victim. "You do not tell me what to do!" He grabbed her head and slammed it down onto the counter.

Dazed, Millie was fell to the floor, and ended up being kicked over and over again in the stomach, the chest, and face. She gasped and blood went flying out of her mouth, and seeping from old wounds.

"Stop!" Her little brother yelled and threw something at the back of their father's head. A four year old saved her.

"Little fucker!" The father screamed before shoving the little boy away, who hit his head, and passed out.

That was the last time she tried to protect herself.

But it wasn't the last time someone hurt her.