chapter 4:every melody and chord

"Well, my name is Lydia Alexandra Mercer, my family calls me Alex though, after my brother who died in 1995..." I blurt out and look at her nervously as she processes what I've said "oh and I prank called you last night".

Her eyes widen and she quickly closes all the doors in the garage. "Oh yeah, I was at the Orphium last night"

"That must have been quite the shock, I'm so sorry you found out that way" Julie looks at me trying to figure out what to do. "And about that prank call thing, why did you hang up so suddenly?" She questions.

"Well I realised who was speaking when I heard you shout Alex's name and I just freaked out about talking to a ghost I guess" I say with a small laugh. The energy in the room was a little awkward at first but I feel it brightening up when Julie laughs and says "it took me a while to get used to it too".

"So what is Alex like?" I say leaning my head on my hand and she looks at me a little shocked "don't you know anything about him?". I shake my head in response and frown "all I know is what he looks like, his name and that's he died because of music, or at least that's what my parents tell me. I had to find out what band it was and about the hotdogs on my own. My parents believe that Alex died because of music so that's why I'm not allowed to listen to any music, or play, or sing any either. I had to lie to my parents to go to the concert yesterday".

Julie listens and by the time In finished there is a mixed look of anger and empathy on her face. "I'm so sorry, I couldn't even imagine how my life would be without music, your parents had no right to take away from you".

Suddenly I hear a strange wishing sound and two guys appear from no where right in front of me. Reggie and Luke are their names if I remember correctly. I jump in shock as they appear and they both let out short screams and cling onto eachother when they turn around to see me.

"Guys don't freak out but this is Lydia and she is Alex's little sister", she then turns to me "Lydia this is Luke" she motions towards the one closest to her who is smiling at me "hi!" He says enthusiastically and I can't help but smile back. "And this is Reggie" she motions towards the one that I find attractive, this guy is exactly my type physically. He is staring at me with wide eyes "woah you do look like identical to him, are you guys twins?" He asks in wonder and I cant hold back a small laugh.

"I'm pretty sure that's impossible" I say with a small laugh. He looks at me for a second before moving his hand towards me. I stare at it unsure at what he is going to do and my jaw drops when his finger tips go right through my neck. "Ohhhh you're a lifer" he says retracting his hand leaving me staring at him in shock.

"Lifer?" I look at Reggie totally lost and he explains it to me. "Oh and my middle name is Alexandra so my whole family calls me Alex so if you want to feel free to call me Alex" I tell the three and they all nod.

"Alex is going to totally flip when he sees you, in a good way of course" Luke smiles at me and Reggie adds onto his sentence making it a little worrying "or in a bad way, he doesn't like change, it triggers his anxiety. But the time he went off after a big change he met Willie so not all bad things"

I look at both the boys and Julie puzzled and looking to see if anyone will explain it to me. "Who's Willie?" I blink in confusion and Reggie sighs "well Willie is Alex's -" he is mid sentence when he is cut off by Luke. "Maybe we should let Alex tell her, it is his story to tell after all."

"You should hang out here a lot, you seem really cool Alex" Reggie sits down next to me on the couch as he talks. "Well if I get along well with Alex maybe I will and you guys all seem awesome".

"Well while we wait for Alex why don't you tell us about yourself?" Luke smiles as he sits on a chair opposite the couch.

"Well... obviously I'm partly names after Alex, I turn seventeen in two months, I love soccer but I don't actually know what I want to do for a job, I am atheist but I dabble with a little Wicca, I have a pet turtle which nine year old me decided to call Shelly, I am bisexual with a slight male lean, I have a bestfriend called Mackenzie who would be thrilled to meet you all. Oh and my parents blame Alex's death on music so I'm balked from it, not even allowed to listen to classical music and they will not even let me go near an instrument. They would kill me if they found out I was here."