Jeanmarco - The Night Shift ♡

"Marco, it's like midnight, are you working late today?" Sasha adjusted her nametag on her dark apron, humming along with the overhead radio playing.

"I don't mind working late." the freckled male responded, cleaning the counter with an enthusiastic smile. "Why do you ask?"

The brunette grinned. "Oh, I dunno. I sorta thought Connie was coming in today but it's been raining so hard, right?" she gave a thoughtful sigh, then chuckled at what she was about to say. "His days and my days are totally off. It's weird. Like he works one shift, then I come in right after, and sometimes we bump into each other. But I hope he finds it funny because I think it's funny."

Marco gave a sincere look. "Oh, I know you and Connie will work something out. Has he talked to you recently?"

Sasha got ahold of a small pastry, wiping the crumbs from her collar as she took a nibble. "Mm, sort of." she gestured a phone with her hand, "He called me yesterday but there's nothin' going on today."

"I'm sure he'll come around. But that's great, I'm glad you got to talk."

Sasha clicked her tongue. "I'm his bestie." she gave a small grin. "Anyway, I said I was going to help you out after work so I will."

"Oh, I appreciate that, but it's getting late now. No stress, you can count on me to stay." Marco's face made a patient expression. "I bet Connie's waiting for you. And you don't wanna miss that next episode of Spongebob, am I right?"

The brunette smiled, taking off her dark cap. "Holy crap, you're right." she held up a white cup, humming. "Now, it won't take me long to make it but can I take a coffee for him?"

"Yes, of course." Marco's lips made a friendly curve as he nodded and set his cap over the counter, arriving at the storage area to get Sasha a new blend.

She made sure to evaluate that the door to the back room was closed so Marco wouldn't notice just how many madeleine packets Sasha had stuffed in her apron. She scrambled two more together that were by the register, and then, in her regret, was slighted by the voice of someone entering the shop.

"Nice try. Never thought I'd see a cashier robbing their own place." A police gentleman with a truffle brown undercut and brassy hair leaned against the counter. His eyes were quite the tool for condescending, and the undertones in his voice suggested that he was a high priority, of course. Jean's uniform sang all the confidence that turned Sasha a little pale, but they were no strangers.

"Hey, Jean." she laughed childishly, pointing to herself and nearly making him regret saying anything. "Are you gonna arrest me for theft?"

"Verbally, no. But I have no problem doing it as long as we both keep pretending you didn't steal those donuts." Jean spoke sarcastically.

Sasha gasped, her eyes widening with a misled shock as she took in a deep breath, whispering. "Sir... these are madeleines."

The man gave a dry chuckle. "Sure, Madaleine. How about we both forget about this conversation, you can take my order and we can go back to doing our jobs?"

"I would apologize, but I don't think that will make things better," Sasha muttered, clearing her throat and suddenly chirping up as she heard Marco come back from the storage unit. "Can I get you a free coffee and a scone?"

Jean froze immediately at Marco's pair of familiar dusty brown eyes and olive skin pacing past, and suddenly time and work had no relevance anymore; this was all he could think about. Marco made a comment to Sasha about a bag of coffee before he turned to Jean with a warm greeting; he had probably noticed Jean staring, to his remorse. Jean said hello, watching Marco's faint freckles when he smiled, and he wanted to hold onto that memory. In his own ruminations, Jean couldn't really own up to his obvious staring, but maybe it was time to take that free coffee.