Reibert - At The End Of The Day ♡

"My paper!" Bertholdt shouted in a crushing realization. "I can't believe it was the last thing on my mind when I left. I'm screwed. This is probably going to be the final straw if I go back."

Footsteps that belonged to a relatively smaller girl approached the staircase near the school entrance. "Hey, beanstalk, I could use your tutoring today with Reiner if I get to make the calls about classes."

"A-Annie! You seriously want tutoring to-day? Why, to-day?" Bert scrambled through his backpack for his phone, hesitantly clicking on his chat with Reiner.

"You don't need to pronounce the word to me. I know what it sounds like." the blonde huffed. "Anyways, why are you so frantic? I mean, come on, what's your deal with Reiner? Why weren't you sitting together at lunch?"

The jet-haired male digested the questions, sighing. "W-well, I don't k-know, or maybe I do know. He's a little hurt about something, and I'm not sure how to make it up to him." he frowned a little. "We don't ever get into fights like this."

"Wow, okay, I see where this is going." Annie chuckled, striking an odd look on the taller male's face.

"What?" Bert tensed up.

"Doesn't matter. What'd you do?"

"Well, I..."

"Spit it out, beanstalk."

"Well, Reiner and I hung out after school yesterday. Obviously, we weren't planning on having a sleepover on a school night. Next thing we knew, we were fighting over who was going to turn off the light. At first, he was messing with me, saying to turn it off in my sleep with my feet in the air. Reiner always notices how I sleep, and I told him I found it weird. Still, he got offended by it even when I said it was nothing personal, but he took it the wrong way, and I couldn't argue with him. It was crazy." Bert started to whine. "I wish I wasn't such a pest about it."

"That's a lot of detail... but no, I'm sure he feels bad too." The blonde strained back laughter. "You didn't talk it out?"

"I didn't have any classes with him today." the taller male cleared up. "I wish things could just go back to normal."

"Then don't wish, just... go for it, even if it gets you all weird and uncomfortable, then that tells you you're saying what needs to be said." Annie smiled a bit. "You never know how he might react. Even if things feel like you've ruined your last chances, like it did a number on you, in the end, he's still your best friend."

Bertholdt sighed for a moment of relief. "That's neat that you think that, Annie. I'm glad I ran into you." he grinned softly. "Thanks."

"You can repay me with tutoring." she nodded curtly. "And if Reiner doesn't take it well, then hit me up. I'll be happy to slap him into apologizing to you for the rest of the day."

"Oh, no, that's okay..." Bertholdt gave a concerned look.

Without a doubt, Bert had taken into account an apology for obnoxious behavior the other night. He took steps, positive ones at that, telling himself that talking again was the one thing worth doing to get his best friend back. When he arrived, the jet-haired male gritted his teeth at the doorstep, thinking twice about the kind of scrutiny he was going to get from Reiner's hard stare. But once the doorbell rang, he covered one last thought; knowing that there was still hope to make this all up to him.

"Bert..." his buff friend welcomed, "Hey. How's... how are you?"

"Rei..." his smile was a bit uneasy, but he managed to get Reiner's attention with, "I came over."

"Heh, yeah, I see that." Reiner closed the door behind them as their shadows followed them into the house.

"I'm sorry." Bert sighed, standing a few feet apart from his blond friend. "Maybe I should have texted you or something?"