Prologue

Melayna and her parents were travelling to the mall. She had been let out of school early that day because her teacher was off sick. She hadn't been out with her parents for a while so she mentioned that they should do something together. But she would soon regret her decision because it would change her life forever.

She leant over with a seatbelt on as she went to speak to her mother. "I heard you talking to our neighbour today about how difficult it is having a thirteen year old. I'm I really that much of a nuisance mom? I didn't realise I was such a bad daughter.

"Hey cut it out! Don't speak to your mother like that!" her father shouted. He scowled through the mirror of the car so she could see.

"You're just as bad as her. I've heard you saying the same things. If I am so hard to take care of why didn't you just get rid of me and be done with it? I wanted us to go on this little trip so we could bond more but I guess you just want to go for the shopping--"

"You aren't a bad daughter honey," said her mother but she had heard straight from her mother's mouth to the neighbour that she was.

"I'm not a bad daughter? You literally said I was to the neighbour. You said I am a nasty, ungrateful piece of shit! And you expect me to not react to being treat like this. I just want to be a good daughter, that's all I've ever wanted but you both treat me like I'm dirt on the underneath of your shoes!" she yelled. "Everything I do for the both of you, yet you still treat me this way. I love you both god dammit!"

Her father turned around and looked at her with a look of anger on her face. He reached over and punched her in the nose. She yelled in pain, and moments later that's when it would all change. A truck was on the wrong side of the road. It had been the first time her father had ever lifted a finger to her and it would be his last.

"Dad, look out!" she yelled as the truck then collided with the car sending the car flying, the drivers side crushed in instantly. Melayna had been on the opposite side, glass shattered everywhere cutting open her arm, the pain was burning. She screamed out, there was no noise from her parents but before she could even realise what was going on properly, she blacked out.

Her eyes slowly started to open while she was still trapped in the car. Her legs were trapped causing her pain. She tried to move but she couldn't and she started to panic. Was there any help coming? she thought. Surely someone would have called for help by now. Her eyesight was blurry because of her head injury. Blood was dripping down the side of her face, it felt cold or maybe that was the shock. Her arms were bleeding badly off the glass, it had ripped her arms to shreds. She started screaming out in pain hoping someone would come to help.

She could hear sirens in the distance but she didn't have a clue if they were for here. "Someone help me!" she yelled. "Please, someone help us!"

*************

The fire crew of 118 had just gotten to the scene of a very serious accident.

"I'm going to check and see if there are any survivors!" said Bobby to the rest of the team as the others set to work stabilising the truck. He headed to the vehicle quickly, he thought he could see movement in the back of the vehicle. When he peered in the front, he knew straightaway that they were dead. But was there someone in the back? A child maybe? He took a deep breath hoping that the child had survived. He hated accidents where a whole family had been killed.

Eddie and Buck were stabilising the truck. "Do you think its possible for anybody to survive a crash like this?" he asked. Even the truck driver was dead, he had been thrown out of the truck and had been impaled on a nearby fence.

Eddie shrugged a little. "I guess we will find out from the boss won't we---"

Bobby got nearer to the back of the vehicle and could see a girl there, she seemed to be moving. "Miss, can you hear me?" he asked as he popped his head through the window. She was only a teenager. There was blood everywhere from her arms and head and she was struggling to stay awake. "Miss, I'm Bobby Nash. Can you tell me your name and age?" he asked growing concerned.

Melayna managed to look up at him, she had to blink a few times to clear her eyesight. "I--I'm Melayna, I'm thirteen. Please help me---" She cried out in pain off all of the injuries.

Bobby reached in and placed a hand on hers. "We will get your out of here kiddo. Don't you worry." He prayed that she wouldn't ask about her parents just yet. He wanted her to be stable in hospital before telling her.

"Can you move at all?" he asked looking down at her, his hand still on top of hers.

"I think I might be able to get my legs out if I try hard enough," she said, she started to move, her legs were getting unstuck.

"Can you try to crawl over to me?" He could smell oil and he knew he needed to be quick getting her out. "I can pull you out through the window if you can get to me kiddo."

She started to crawl over to him, she didn't know how she was managing to do it. The pain was awful, she felt like her whole body was burning but she eventually reached him.

"Put your arms around me kiddo," he said softly. As she did he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her through the window into his arms. He quickly ran with her, luckily he had gotten her out just in time as the car went up in flames.

He looked down at the young girl as he sighed with relief. "You're safe now, you're going to be okay."

How was he going to explain to the girl that both her parents died in the crash? He knew it wasn't going to be easy but he wanted to be him to tell her.