Prologue

*13 years ago*

Giggling could be heard throughout the magnificent forest. Little feet crunched on fallen leaves as they carried her away. Long chestnut hair danced in all rhythms while she hopped over large roots and pebbles that made her whine in pain when her foot was pricked by them. I loved to play this game with her, especially in the forest where I knew she was safe and free. She stopped running and hid behind a tree as I heard her trying to muffle her deep breaths and giggles.

"Mama...tell me again...about the legends" She spoke in between breaths. I could hear her smile.

I chuckled before replying. "Well, they say that in these very woods is a passage that leads to another world, Tir Na nOg where creatures never age and magick lives". As I started the story once again, she had forgotten about our little game and she hid no more behind the old and wise tree. Her face gleamed while her eyes grew in curiosity, making me grin. As I sat on the damp forest floor not caring about my newly sewed gown, she neared me as if in a trans.

"In this world live the great Dragans Ceilteach, who is known to protect the land and all living things, they bring earthly and heavenly forces together. Some of these dragans guard the gateway to the lands of the Gods" I spoke, as she sat on my lap.

"And where they came from?"

I began stroking her wild hair. "Long ago, the people of Tir Na nOg and the people of this world lived happily together, but there was a King who grew greedy and cruel to his people. He wanted more power than all the people of both worlds and the mighty Gods combined. The Gods then came together in a great ritual where they took the waters of one god, creating the blood. Next they took the earth of another god, creating mighty bodies covered in hard rocky scales. The next god gave his fire to the bodies, to use against any evil. The last god gave air, mighty winds that the beasts would fly on, creating the great Dragan" She stared, blue eyes wide with wonder as I spun the tale.

"The great Dragans Ceilteach were created and given the duty to slay the greedy king and protect the people by the gods. So the Dragan came to this world through the passage ways which sit in these very woods" She looked around the wood, hoping to spot a portal, "They went through with the god's mission and brought happiness to the people of the lands. Once the Dragans returned to the Tir Na Nog, the people of the kingdom noticed that in areas where the Dragans crossed were different...they held power..." I looked up, noticing the forest trees rustling as dusk began to fade to night.

"Come Ahlva, let us go home" I began to stand up but she refused to move.

"Promise to finish the story first!" She whined, pouting her lip as she always does.

Holding her soft cheek, I smiled "Before you go to bed, I promise" I bent down and rubbed my nose against hers. Ahlva let out a giggle once more before jumping up and strolling back to the castle. I got up, dusting my gown before taking her hand in mine and singing songs of legends as we walked together.