Part 3 - The Middle

*(The Start of the Middle)*

He came, indeed, just like that, without any regards to my plan.  So much for my hard work.  Good things certainly come when you least expect them to.

He left me a message on my phone one Saturday morning.  He texted 'hey,' and then I asked who this was, and he told me, and I felt overjoyed, and the conversation just went on like that.

Brian is the kind of guy most girls would want because he's so .. manly.  He's cool and charming, but he's an empty shell.  Many want him because he's the perfect asset, and your ideal prince charming, but he's not that perfect and ideal on the inside.  

He asked me out.  And I felt like the most beautiful girl on earth.  Ever.

He took me to the movies, treated me to restaurants, and even bought me stuffs.  It was all so sudden, and I can't help but doubt him.

I asked him once why me.  And he explained how he liked me from the beginning, back in the auditorium.  He said it’s just that I was 'cool' in a way that I still think when I talked to him back there.  He said most girls don't, "because of intimidation."  And in addition, I was the first girl who wasn't interested in him after the first meeting.  That kind of turned him on.

I almost laughed out loud with that.  Little does he know I stalked him for quite some time, although discreetly.  Maybe, just maybe, I did it right.

I admit I'm entirely happy with my life back then.  He's everything I need to complete my world.  But that's the catch - he can easily become your whole world.  He can devour you quickly and easily and then vomit you out, broken and deformed from the bitterness of his bile.

*(The Middle of the Middle)*

Don't get me wrong, I was happy.  I thoroughly enjoyed being his.'

My dreams were suddenly given to me.  It was fun - seeing the Brian Hunters envious of me.  But I seriously fell for him.  He was so easy to love, because he's so brittle.

He's from a broken family, living only with his elder sister.  Both of her parents have their separate families now, and they aren't supporting them in any way.  But her elder sister now has a big-paying job.

He doesn't have any true and lasting friends, only temporary fakers who ditch him once they got the fame they want that comes with being Brian's friend.  He only had his girlfriends, and his sister.

He also does not have a god.  He believes that the whole world or universe or infinity is one big coincidence, and that people are stupid for trying to explain everything in this big scheme of things.

That's why he became this guy with a handsome exterior but a vacuum for an interior.  He's more like a black hole, really.  He's so empty he'd suck you in to fill himself.  And if you're not enough, he'd ditch you for someone who is.

  I did not saw him this way 'till he left me.  I just saw him as a fragile boy who needs love and nurturing.  That's why I gave him my all.  I let him have all the love I can give.  Let him keep it, for I have infinite supplies as long as he's there to inspire me.

We were quite a couple, but I noticed as days went by that we have nothing in common, except for love for history.  I'd always been fascinated by relics, paintings, and other memorabilias from the past.  I'm melodramatic, and I think that explains why I love history.

That's how we ended up spending our Tuesdays museum-hopping.  We became friends with many curators around the country, and became updated when new items were displayed.  

I even kept the sapphire necklace we got from our first visit in a museum together just outside of town.  It was originally a small chunk of rough sapphire stone from the java people, who kept it as a holy rock representing love.  Naturally, it was very costly, but Brian bought it just the same and made it cut to fit two necklaces for each of us.  It was very romantic, and it connected us to each other and to the past.

But aside from history, there is nothing else common to both of our interests.  I remember a scene from the past, when we jumped into his car, on the way to another museum.  I turned the lock and put my headphones on, he always said he didn't get this song, but I do.

I like painting scenes, and I'd sometimes drive around town, finding a comfy spot and a breathtaking scene to paint, and I'd get lost in my own world that I'd only stop when there's no more light.  But he thought it useless to paint scenes, not portraits of people.

I could tell you all of our mismatches, but you'd only think him rude for his responses to my interests, ranging from weird to simply stupid.  I always tried to understand him, and love him more, to stop this unhealthy attitude of his.  But I'm a failure in this field, I'm sorry to say.  He still dumped me.

*(The End of the Middle)*

He was all flattering words and flowers on the first date, but in the end, he was all lies and all my shortcomings and all the ugliness in this damned relationship.  ‘Keep understanding,’ I used to tell myself, and I kept pushing forward in our life together and keeping a blind eye to all the wrongness in us.

I convinced myself this is just a phase, a trial in our relationship, a chance to be stronger.  But he gave up.  Just like that.  Like how easily he came to my life, just like that.