Part 4 - The End

*(The Start of the End)*

I met him in a cafe downtown.  

I was on the verge of crying again, remembering all the times I've spent with Bryan.  How we should have gone on our weekly museum-hunting today, like the rest of our shared Tuesdays, how we should have bought that couple shirt we both liked the instant we saw it, before we broke up, how we should have still done many things together, how we should have kept holding on to each other despite those trials.

I remembered going to Bialetto to keep myself sane enough.

This cafe had been my refuge - my place of retreat - together with my coffees and books and diary.  I used to go here for the past 8 months, thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end.

But on a Wednesday, in this cafe, I watched it begin again.

I was sitting in my usual spot by the window, all alone in a table for four.  I used to feel so desolate, so alone in the world, without him.  It's hard to undo the damage he caused me, or maybe, I caused myself for building my world around him.  But that particular day, I felt almost okay.

I read my daily dose of books for children, which I'd become very fond of since our breakup, works like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator,  also Danny the Champion of the World and other works by Roald Dahl, and even Ramona Quimby books.  Indeed, books for children aged 8 to 10. 

But in reading them, I became hopeful again, and started regaining my life in the eyes of a newborn child with the world once again full of possibilities.  That's what you get in books like those - a new perspective.

When he came, I was engrossed in my favorite book, Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism.  I was reading away at the time Molly Moon was being chased by the evil Mr. Knockman who wants to steal the book of hypnotism from her to learn its secrets and be the most successful criminal in the world.

"Hey, is that a Molly Moon book?"  I looked up, and saw a bright smile from a beautiful face.

"Uh, yes.  The first book."  I smiled shyly and looked back down.

"Wow, that's a very .. rare book.   How did you get a copy?"

"Sturdy sources."  I replied curtly.  

"Wow, just.. wow."  He whispered.

I glanced at him briefly, and asked "Why?"

"That's one of my favorites, and one of my most treasured books.  I've got the complete series.  How come you're reading these kinds of books?"

"I sort of became into them these past months."

"Really?  What else have you read?"

"Beverly Cleary, Georgia Byng, Kate Klise, and the such."

"How about George de Horne Vaizey?  The Daughters of a Genius?"

"Yeah."

"That's my favorite!"

"Wow," I said.  Just wow.  A guy reading books like these?  And admitting them to a total stranger?  

And that's when I knew how different a guy can really be.

*(The Middle of the End)*

I parked my car in front of the cafe and smiled to myself.  I'm feeling so blessed and happy right now.  I feel the serenity I've been longing for in months.  And I declare it feels so good.

I took a deep breath in the mirror, and pinched my cheeks to make it a little bit more red.  I'm quite flushed right now, but a little natural blush can never go wrong.

I smirked as I got off my car, flexing my legs to get the feel of my black high heels.  Brian didn't like it when I wore high heels, but I do.  But he's a part of my past now, and now, I'm about to meet my future.

I walked in expecting he'd be late, but he got there early and he stood and waved.  I walked to him.  He pulled my chair out and helped me in, yet he doesn't know how nice that is, but I do.  We tell stories and he doesn't know why I'm coming off a little shy, but I do.  And he threw his head back laughing like a little kid.  I think it's strange that he thinks I'm funny 'cause 'he' never did.  A lot has really changed, and it's hard to start with a broken soul, but I now know what's rightful to fight for.

And we walked down the block to my car and I almost brought 'him' up.  But he started talking about the movies that his family watches every single Christmas, and I want to talk about that.  And for the first time, what's past is past.

*(The End of the End)*

Let me tell you, a ruined relationship is a blessing.  It's never meant to put you down, but to bring you up.  It may not guarantee a painless process, but it guarantees you many lessons.  

Think about it.  

I remembered going to Bialetto to keep myself sane enough.

This cafe had been my refuge - my place of retreat - together with my coffees and books and diary.  I used to go here for the past 8 months, thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end.

But on a Wednesday, in this cafe, I watched it begin again.

~ajejejejejejeje~

comment/vote :))