The Accident

(A few weeks later, June 23, there was an accident. While Tara was at the academy, Dr. Hatch came into her suite.)

Dr. Hatch: (solemnly) Tara, I'm so sorry. Your family's house caught on fire this morning. No one escaped the fire. Your family is dead. I am so, so sorry. (Tara's eyes filled with tears.)
Tara: What caused the fire?
Dr. Hatch: The fire department said it was an electrical fire. But don't worry. There was a clause in the contract your parents signed that states that if anything happened to them, I would receive legal guardianship. That means that you can live here at the academy with me permanently. (Tara cried and it took her five minutes to calm down.) I know. It's very sad. But I have some good news too to help you feel better. We have discovered that you were born a twin. When your biological mother, a teenage girl named Gail Nash of Monrovia, California gave you both up for adoption, you were the first to be adopted. You went to a home right here in Pasadena, just three miles from the academy. Your twin sister Taylor Ridley on the other hand was adopted by a family in another state. And everyone knows how inefficient government bureaucrats can be. Her records were lost in the transfer between state agencies. She vanished like a grain of rice in a rice paddy. But I promise that someday, we'll find her.