Chapter 1

The final note of my current workload rang out in the air. I had been perfecting this bass line for longer than I realized. It was almost completed, I could feel it, but my brain was being stubborn and refusing to help me in any way.

The computer screen full of music notations stared back at me in the dim studio. It was nearly three in the morning, and my lack of sleep from the past couple of days was getting to me as I slid my fingers up the neck of my bass guitar to rest on its body. I eyed the coffee mug on my desk, now empty of its life giving contents.

Letting out an empty breath of air, I lifted my bass off of my lap and into its empty stand, deciding to go for more coffee before going any further on the music.

The dimly lit halls of JYP Entertainment were empty, as per usual for the late hour. I was used to it. It seemed the only time I left my studio was to get food or to top off my coffee mug, usually at night.

Entering the bright kitchenette at the end of the hallway, I made a beeline for the coffee pot. I had made a pot earlier in the night and there should have been one more cup left. I frowned. It was empty. The heck. I furrowed my eyebrows, What is this, Phantom of the Opera? No one else was here.

(a/n I have recently been informed that my Phantom of the Opera reference makes no sense. I am here to say that I am not going to take it out because they informed me of this when I had just published chapter six, and I honestly could not care less. When I had just written it, I had recently watched the movie and it made sense so I STAND BY MY STUPIDITY. I'm sorry if it sounds stupid but that's how I roll B))

"Oh, hey there."

I jumped, almost dropping the empty coffee pot. I turned towards the voice. By the door stood a man, stocky and short. He wore a black short sleeved hoodie that read in yellow words you make stray kids stay.

"Sorry," he smiled. "I didn't mean to scare you."

I looked at the ground and nodded that it was okay.

"Did you make that last pot of coffee? It was really good," he said, holding up an empty coffee mug.

I narrowed my eyes at him. So he stole my coffee. Frowning, I turned my attention back to the coffee maker and prepared to brew another pot.

"Are you here this late very often?" the black haired boy attempted to make conversation with me. Good luck with that. I ignored him, pretending to focus on my task. Actually I was trying to figure out who he was. I could tell from his shirt that he was a member of Stray Kids, and his face was familiar, but I couldn't pinpoint his name or position. Lower ranked employees of JYPE weren't allowed to interact with signed bands unless the idol initiated it. Despite the popularity of Stray Kids, I had only listened to a couple of their songs, and was in no way a "Stay."

"You don't talk much, do you?" he asked.

Although I had received that question countless times, it still hurt whenever I heard the words. It wasn't exactly my fault. I haven't been physically able to use my vocal chords at any volume louder than a whisper since I was 15.

I glared at him, then the coffee pot. How long does it take to brew one pot of coffee?

He sighed tiredly, obviously thinking the same as me.

Letting out a puff of air, I opened the fridge and pulled out an orange. I could feel my tired companion's eyes on me as I peeled it. I kept my focus on the orange, pretending I couldn't feel him staring. By the time the coffee was ready, I was thoroughly annoyed with his presence. With a level of salt unmatched, I poured my coffee and left the room.

"Goodnight," he said, adding a bit of salt himself.

As I retreated down the hall, I felt the boy's gaze on my back.

Upon entering my studio I downed half of my coffee before throwing myself into my comfy office chair. I don't know what it is about him that threw me off but he just pissed me off.

I took a deep breath and another sip of coffee, allowing the caffeine to wake my mind up fully before slapping my palms to the sides of my face. Focus, Eun Ae. I picked up my bass.

(a/n yeah the first two chapters are shorter than I'd like them to be but they'll hopefully get a little longer :)

thanks for reading! I hope you like the story :))