Oathkeepers

Ellie remained awake, reading Dennis's note from this morning. She smiled and laughed, with a tear streaming down her cheek and landing onto the secret message on the back of his note.

Suddenly, she heard a clatter on her window and she pocketed the note. She opened the curtains, and lo-and behold...

It was Blaine.

She giggled and opened the window, wiping her happy tears. "What the hell? Isn't it time for a greaser to go to bed?"

Blaine chuckled. "Greasers never go to bed. We gotta protect princesses like you," he said, grinning.

"Hey, uh—could you hurry it up? Superior's really heavy over here," whimpered Dennis from below.

Ellie gasped seeing her best friend struggle in bearing Blaine's weight on his shoulders. "Dennis! Oh my gosh, why didn't you call?!"

Dennis laughed nervously. "Oh you know, it would take away from the romantic vibe. That's not what we're here for," he panted as he upheld his boss's feet.

"I guess so," she replied. She turned to Blaine, whose eyes became a chocolate brown in her bedroom light, and whose cheekbones turned up perfectly in a soft smile.

He grasped her hand. "Just wanted to apologize for what happened tonight. We didn't get to talk like I said we would. But I swear to you things will change," he said.

"Yeah they will!" Dennis yelled from below.

She raised an eyebrow. "How so?" she said, locking her hand in Blaine's. She brushed her fingers across the bruises on his knuckles, wishing that her touch could heal his injuries.

Blaine smirked, caressing her palm. "Give it time, princess. I've got goals, and so do you," he replied.

She nodded, smiling. "Okay. I trust you," she said. "For some unknown, otherworldly reason, I trust you--a greaser."

He chuckled. "You know, in a couple of weeks the definition of greaser will change in the dictionary. You'll see," he said.

She crossed her arms, smiling. "Blaine, you don't need to change the definition of anything. I thought a rebel like you would understand that," she said.

He smirked and he drew closer, squeezing her hand with longing. "Heh, look at you, Ellie. Giving me credit where none is due. You sure make a greaser feel like some sort of prince."

Her smile faltered, her feelings now unleashed.

 "Maybe you are, to me."

For once in his life, Blaine's grin fell, and his eyes betrayed a suppressed affection, which focused only on her lips. She smiled, and she brushed her nose against his before their lips melted into a soft and gentle kiss. A chill rushed through her, but the more she dissolved into him, the warmer she grew. She caressed the rough patch of scar on his cheek, tracing his flawless cheekbones.

They parted for a moment to lock eyes, and he smiled, kissing her again, a little more forceful this time. She closed her eyes and received it gracefully, caressing his soft neck as their lips melded into one. The whiff of gunsmoke and cologne whisked her away into another dimension, a heavenly place where it was only him that kept her feet on the ground and awakened the bliss of love in her heart. It was the union of breath and touch that was intoxicating, the only reason to be joyful in that very moment. It was a craving that was left unsatisfied as soon as he broke free.

"Whoopsie, did I move too little fast?" he crooned, caressing her jaw as their noses touched.

She shook her head in his palm, smiling dreamily, mesmerized by his charm and rugged allure.

He chuckled, brushing her nose with his and tucking her hair behind her ear. "Good, I'll see ya tomorrow," he said, grinning. He gave her a peck on the cheek before jumping off of Dennis's shoulders. Dennis rolled his arms and saluted up to Ellie as he retreated into the street.

When he turned around, she noticed the new number II on his back and she gasped and marveled at its weathered glory.

Blaine combed his hair back and saluted, the number I shining in equal brightness under the moonlight, its own sun in the dawn of a new era. He hollered with wild glee, relishing in the fact that he kissed the girl of his dreams, the princess of some back alley fairytale.

Ellie giggled, her dream coming true in the span of a fateful Friday. After closing the window, she opened the note again to read it once more.

On a scale from 1-10, how much do ya dig B?

She then flipped the paper, revealing the secret message.

On a scale from 1-10, how much do ya dig Ellie?

The discovery brought tears to her eyes again, which overflowed like a cauldron of magic. Her smile quivered, and she felt her heart pounding with so much joy and energy that it felt trapped in her rib cage. His answer to Dennis's question was the catalyst to her racing heart, and why his kiss felt like a rapture. He was an escape from the dimensions of this universe, far into the depths of euphoria itself.

She touched Blaine's crude letters, which graced the margin with mischief and finality.

Wouldn't you like to know?

lim   1/x

X-->0+

She hugged the note to her heart and laughed, fully understanding what it meant. 

His answer was infinity.