𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐕𝐄

the black raven | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐕𝐄

□ damian □

It is deathly silent. No one mutters a word. No one dares, I assume.

I observed everyone in the room, including Mara, who was staring right at Father. She dragged me down here when I recognized she was following me, which was far too late for someone of my ability.

I don't know how she crept up behind me without making a sound for so long.

That doesn't matter now.

"Mara," Father speaks up softly.

No answer. I'm about to jab her with my elbow by instinct, but Alfred clears his throat and gives me a look that could kill. I clench my jaw, restraining my anger.

"Mara, this is going to cause a lot of confusion and questions, but I need you to understand me. I need you to understand before anything else that this has been kept a secret for your safety," Father says, and I can feel Mara's arm tense up under my grip.

She's stronger than I thought, but she stays silent. None of my brothers, nor Alfred, say anything. It's just Father. It's up to him. He continues.

"Mara, do you understand what I said?"

"Yeah, Bruce, I understand what you just said," Mara snaps, still looking around the cave.

Father raises his head ever so slightly, only something I would catch. I see he's uncomfortable, hurting in some form which I do not understand, but doesn't show on the outside.

I only see it in his eyes. Predictable, as usual.

"Good, good. That's good..." he pauses and glances at Alfred. Alfred shakes his head, telling him he won't say anything yet.

"Mara, I'm just going to tell you this straight. I know you're older now and - "

She scoffs, making Father stop. He blinks once, twice, three times. He's trying to read her, but now she's doubled over laughing.

It catches me off guard and makes me instantly reel my hand towards my body. I frown, an unfamiliar feeling pooling in my stomach, and I gaze towards Dick.

Father speaks as she's still laughing. It's making the feeling rise through my chest, filling my lungs as the air becomes thinner around me.

She shouldn't be laughing while Father talking. It's disrespectful. Downright dishonorable.

"Mara, stop," Bruce asks again, his eyes steely, "do you know what this place is?"

Mara's laughter finally dies down, her upright position becoming stoic and statue-like. It's one I recognize, bringing the feeling that crept into my throat back into my chest.